Tiffin Girls School - Stage 1 result - please post here.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ElevenPlusWizard

Re: Tiffin Girls School - Stage 1 result - please post here.

Post by ElevenPlusWizard »

Peridot wrote:Yes, if it's done in the same way as in 2012. As Tiffinboys has reminded me though, the scores you all have now are standardized, and it's the raw score they will scale rather than the standardized score.
If the standardized score is 212 and my DD being June born then the raw score must also be on the lower side. In that case I am not confident if she has any reasonable chance after Stage 2. Any thoughts?
luckygirls

Post by luckygirls »

My DD (born in Norvember) 231
Mark- 63 and 69 / Standadised Mark-114 and 117

My DD's Best Friend (born in July) 230
Mark- 63 and 64 / Standadised Mark-117 and 113
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

It can be done. Need to score high in English and Maths. English (Reading & Writing) is worth 50 marks, Maths another 20. So if score is low in NVR/VR, a very high score in 2nd stage test will cover for it. The cut-off score was 53.46 (from memory, pls correct me if not so) for 2014 intake.
Milli2004

Post by Milli2004 »

Can someone explain my DD scores. Her standarised scores are 236 and raw scores 130. What does it mean for second stage. Does she have to perform very high in Maths and English?
Milli2004

Post by Milli2004 »

tiffinboys wrote:Thanks Milli,
any other information in the letter about total number of candidates or number moving to stage 2?
No Tiffinboys they havent mentioned total number of candidates or girls who passed the test.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Unless you also know the lowest and highest raw scores of the 2nd stage cohort, you can't work out what it means. If for me, I would relax and concentrate on the coming test. Good Luck
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yes, absolutely agree with Tiffinboys.

The whole reason for my posting in this thread is to say to people please don't worry if your dd has scored on the low side in this first stage. If she can score highly in Maths and English she has just as much chance as everyone else of getting a place.

One of my dd's friends had one of the lower scores at this stage (can't remember what it was exactly) and didn't feel very hopeful. But she did really well in the English tests at the second stage and gained a place.

Well done to everyone's DDs who have worked so hard for these tests, whatever their score, and good luck to those who have qualified for the next stage. The girls have nothing to lose by trying their best in the second stage, whatever their mark is in the first stage.
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

Hello DD got through to round 2. Thanks everyone for the clarifications above as the nature of the stage 2 tests.

It really sucks having them post the results, as I know a couple of girls that are still waiting for their letters.

Does anyone know how many girls are typically through to round 2? If memory serves, their website just says something along the lines of "we ill invite enough girls back to ensure that we achieve our PAN" that could be anything from 151 up to 1000...
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

It's all a bit tricky to calculate since the VR and NVR are independent but normalised to have a mean of 100 and a std deviation of 15

I'm estimating that around 450 candidates go through to round 2.

A score of 236 is about 100th out of 450.

The way the scoring for stage 2 works (or did last year) is that the lowest raw score (someone getting 212) and the highest raw score (someone getting 280) is taken and then that range is used for the contribution to stage 2.

Note that the scores are normalised so although some people will, by definition, score 280 and get 30 marks there will be very few of them, the bulk of the scores are much lower so in reality once past Stage 1 there is all to play for... you need to score well in all the Stage 2 sections.

However, note that there will be candidates in the 450(ish) in Stage 2 that will ultimately chose to pick another, probably more local school, as their ultimate first choice preference... so the odds are better than 450:150... 3:1.

Regards
SVE

PS
=1400*(1-NORMDIST(SCORE,200,25,TRUE)) in Excel is your friend (if you guesstimate the std deviation to be 25)... give approx rank.
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi pushydaddy
When my dd sat the second stage tests in 2012 for entry in 2013 we were told that approx 450 were invited to take the second stage tests. I don't know what the numbers were last year.

Hi SVE - Aha, a proper statistician has arrived, thank goodness... Glad you're here; I hoped you'd be along at some point today to help clarify my muddy attempts at explaining how the two stages work. Thanks! Px
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now