Tiffin Boys - after the result.. need input from TS parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Peridot

Re: Tiffin Boys - after the result.. need input from TS pare

Post by Peridot »

Rugby is compulsory for their games afternoon in the winter in KS3, but they are split into ability levels, from the A team down to the development squad. They can't choose badminton as their full games option until year 11 I think - possibly year 10. But there is a serious badminton club at lunchtimes and after school, and this is where they choose the teams from. In the summer there's cricket and athletics I think. The rowing option starts in the summer of year 8 or 9 (can't remember which) and if they are accepted into rowing they can do that all year round, including Saturday mornings and other training sessions during the week.

Cross posted with TB... I think yes, they are certainly encouraged to try different things. Certainly for the indoor PE session, they try loads of things - this is when they do half termly sessions of basketball, badminton etc. Games afternoon (rugby) and PE are two different things.

Just go with the flow. He may be pleasantly surprised to find new sports that he likes.

And YoungSuccess, "just picking up balls" is a common misconception of what a Wimbledon ball boy actually does! It's physically and mentally demanding, and if they mess up they are thrown out. It really teaches them to think for themselves as well as be part of a tightly knit team. Fantastic skills to take into adulthood.
dumbdad

Post by dumbdad »

Peridot, Tiffinboys,

Thanks for the info on sports. Very useful.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Now would give big 'rest to keyboard'. :wink:
But hope internet works in woods.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

tiffinboys wrote:But hope internet works in woods.
Woods TB?! Camping in October half-term break are we?! :o
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Heard some parts of the world would be rather warm at this time. :D
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

tiffinboys wrote:Heard some parts of the world would be rather warm at this time. :D
Ah, a holiday in a sunny country... at half-term break, how enviable. I would have thought it's the beach and coconut trees, not woods. :D You can find lots of woods in Richmond park you know, and deers too. :lol:
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

And Ticks :lol:
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Peridot wrote: And YoungSuccess, "just picking up balls" is a common misconception of what a Wimbledon ball boy actually does! It's physically and mentally demanding, and if they mess up they are thrown out. It really teaches them to think for themselves as well as be part of a tightly knit team. Fantastic skills to take into adulthood.
Ah, Peridot, yes of course, I was just being funny, or trying to. I knew one family , whose child did it, and they we so so so proud of the achievement. That's when I realise how much it meant to them, and a lot of efforts and hard work must have gone into it. I won't dispute for a moment that the achievement will shape the child's future tremendously on the positive side.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Some amazing helpful insights into the school. A few further questions which I hope existing Tiffin parents can help with:

1. What does the school do assist in integrating year 7s? Any particular induction activities?
2. How good is the school in communicating with parents? How much feedback do you get on DS' progress?
3. What's it like for career and university advice?
4. How big is CCF and D of E?
5. How difficult is it to get into a choir?
6. How much homework do they get?
7. What (if any) changes would parents like to see from the incoming head (about school itself, not catchment or entry exams, please)?
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

panicattack wrote:Some amazing helpful insights into the school. A few further questions which I hope existing Tiffin parents can help with:

1. What does the school do assist in integrating year 7s? Any particular induction activities?
2. How good is the school in communicating with parents? How much feedback do you get on DS' progress?
3. What's it like for career and university advice?
4. How big is CCF and D of E?
5. How difficult is it to get into a choir?
6. How much homework do they get?
7. What (if any) changes would parents like to see from the incoming head (about school itself, not catchment or entry exams, please)?
Good list of questions. I look forward to current parents input.

By CCF, you mean Combined Cadet Force? My DS is also very keen on joining the Cadet. Saw them in SGS and Wilsons, but not at Tiffin. I didn't see it in their website list either. Grateful if parents could enlighten us. Thanks.

Also, I used to think the Arny Cadet is the main organisation, is CCF a separate one?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now