Exam Feedback to tutor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Re: Exam Feedback to tutor

Post by moved »

No one remembers after the event - in my life 4 days go by and I have little memory of a test earlier in the week (do too much at the mo!).
I totally understand the tutor asking now; if s/he asks in January what will you remember?
If you like/trust the tutor then hand over the info. If you don't like the tutor then don't do it at all. If you like but don't trust the tutor then hand over the info at a later date.

I've only ever had one late sitter and many of my pupils/their parents had discussed (downloaded) the exam with me but I certainly didn't provide the late sitter with any advantage.
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

I would provide it if asked - and the sooner after the exam, the better IMO as it is too easy to forget the details. Tutors wouldn't/shouldn't provide their students with an advantage.
It takes a village to raise a child
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I can see the point about the late sitters but a tutor wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't find out as much as they could about the exams they are tutoring for.

The best tutors are clued up about changes in catchments, exam formats and types of questions which come up so they can generally give the best possible tutoring. Kids won't remember unless you ask them soon after.

I worry more about the tutors who are not up to speed with the ever changing formats and content of the grammar school exams.

Agree they shouldn't pass on specific information to late sitters.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed. I encounter students who are still being tutored for VR and NVR for QE and VR for HBS all the time. So when Tiffin abandon the VR and NVR papers next year how long will it take for that to filter through? Things change every year. HBS has changed their format every year for the past three years. QE unexpectedly changed the timing and amount of questions on their English paper this year. If tutors don't keep up they are not doing their job properly. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just reading about problems arising from schools using same papers in various threads (Redbridge for example), I would rather be safe than sorry.

I see the point PA and DG are making, but I think tutors can ask for the information at a later date, rather than immediately after the test. Some tutors unintentionally leak the useful information to late sitters and some parents too are great in finding out test information. :( Already late sitters of January have nearly 4 months advantage to prepare for the test. Why give them even more of benefit of late sitting.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If we had use a tutor then I would have made notes at the time and then handed them over after the final late sitter; in Bucks that would be August 31st the following year.

However honest the tutor is I would not want to put temptation in someone's path ....
nat47

Post by nat47 »

What possible temptation Guest 55? Why would any tutor want to help a late sitter at the expense of all their other tutees? Unless the late sitter were their own child, I just don't see it. It's not only wrong, it's counterproductive. Please explain because I'm baffled.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

IMO, if your tutor is good and you trust him/her, then by all means feed back information.
So many ifs. Better to keep the information to yourself for few more weeks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

nat47 - temptation to share with another student who was sick. Children are sometimes held back from the main exam dates by ruthless parents who hope to get an advantage; the tutor might feel under intense pressure to 'help'.

I know this has happened locally.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now