Calling Tiffin Tutors!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alex

Calling Tiffin Tutors!

Post by Alex »

Hi

I've been browsing this excellent site and have noticed that, while the info regarding test format and preparation is really thorough for some counties (particularly Bucks, Wirral and Essex) it's a bit thin on the ground for Kingston and specifically the Tiffin test. I know they use NFER for the papers, but are there any additional question types not covered in the standard NFER practice papers (e.g. H,I,K,N,O,S) as I believe is the case in Bucks?
It would be great if we could get an experienced tutor, who has successfully prepared children for the Tiffin test, posting on our section of this forum and willing to answer queries as Patricia and Mike do for their respective counties.
Is there anyone out there who would be willing to give us parents who are preparing our children ourselves the benefit of their advice?

Alex
Thea

Post by Thea »

Hear hear! We would prefer to help our child ourselves, as there is a lot of hysteria & mythology locally regarding Tiffin (as it is our only grammar!) and I want to keep it low key, and him not to feel pressurised (ie mum & dad are spending all this money on tutoring) or to make it too big a deal if he doesn't make it, as the odds are so unfavourable with the large numbers of very bright children applying. So any tips gratefully received...
Best Regards,
Thea
Alex

Post by Alex »

Are there any parents who've been through/are going through the process who are willing to share experience/knowledge? It would be great if this section was as informative and active as Bucks for example.
When do most parents start to prepare the children?
What is the approximate usual pass-mark?
How difficult is it to get a child in, in reality? Does anyone have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, from previous years? Do they really have to be a genius as local legend would have us believe?!

Any pointers gratefully received!