Wallington County GS - 2015 allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pooziepuzzle

Re: Wallington County GS - 2015 allocation

Post by pooziepuzzle »

My DS is in year 7 at WCGS and is very happy. They have lots of sports on offer- rugby, table tennis teams, badminton team and basketball. Something for everyone! We love the school. I'm surprised Wilsons over offered last year. I thought only the independents did that, not grammar/state surely
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

Would be nice to build a little network between those of us who live near to each other so that the boys can travel to/from school together.
We are in South Croydon so if any of you are interested please pm me or post here.
I'm planning to take some time off for the first week or two but have another child to collect. Haven't quite worked out the logistics!
motherof2

Post by motherof2 »

Hi Biggiesmall
Congratulations DS. My DS is currently in Year 7 and really enjoys being to WCG. The schools main sport is rugby however they do participate in other sports such as table tennis, badminton, football and cricket.. The homework is on average 2- 4 pieces a week. However it can vary in terms of the handling in date.

The pastoral care is very good and the inductions sessions provide friendships and a sense of belonging. The summer barbecue is an opportunity to liase with parents in your son's house group. Last year they provided a comprehensive list grouping the boys in postcodes so they can go home in a group if required :D
Please note they are no school lockers. So your DS will gain upper body strength within days of joining.!!
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

Motherof2 - thanks for you post. Really helpful. Feel a bit strange at the thought of leaving the good school network we've got currently. My son is less bothered! He is easy going and will adapt wherever so that's the main thing. The summer BBQ is a great idea - help parents and boys meet in an informal setting. I'm really pleased your son is happy at the school. My son is very sporty but lacks upper body strength so the absence of lockers could be advantageous :lol:
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

Induction day question:
Only my son and husband visited the school on the open day because I had to look after my other child, who was sick. Will the Induction day give me a sense of the school in it's entirety in the same way an open day does?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Our induction day at Tiffin was mainly introduction to yr 7 Head and some other staff, yr 7 curriculum and generally life in yr 7. Information about the wonderful use of donations etc etc.
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

tiffinboys wrote:Our induction day at Tiffin was mainly introduction to yr 7 Head and some other staff, yr 7 curriculum and generally life in yr 7. Information about the wonderful use of donations etc etc.
Ah yes. Donations :wink:
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Biggie,

The four induction days are for the new year 7s, not the parents.

The bbq is for the whole family and you will have a parents' meeting before the boys start to help you help the boys with transition to secondary and to give you additional information. If you missed going round the school at the open day, you might want to go around during the 2015 open day (just pretend you're there for the next child........)

As for the donations, that is a pretty big issue for WCGS. The head showed us recently how the level of donations has dropped rapidly over the past few years. Apparently only about 9% of the current year 7s are making any donation. Of course it's "voluntary" and for some families £30 a month is a massive amount of money. However, for other families it wouldn't even be noticed from disposal income and yet they still choose not to give. By my reckoning, WCGS is probably the smallest school in Sutton and that equates to less income. That combined with the small number of pupils receiving pupil premium means that the school is seriously underfunded. I have a DD at Nonsuch as well (a much bigger school) and the difference in funding is very apparent. :(
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

Thanks 2outof3. I used the wrong term - I meant the bbq and parents session. I'll follow your suggestion and attend an open day this year :lol:
Last edited by Biggiesmall on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

It is sad that some people who can easily afford to give choose not to, whilst other families on a low income scrape together what they can afford.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now