Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm
Posts: 33
This is just a plea to those parents with places at Tiffin that their children won't be taking, to give them up as soon as possible. It's understandable to deliberate for a while, but the heartache caused to children and families sitting on those waiting lists throughout the summer term and in some cases the summer holidays, is awful. Children seem so much happier when they know where they're going and can adjust to the idea of their new school. But for those not knowing the stress continues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 3:43 pm
Posts: 36
We've released our TGS place and hope it goes to a good home. :D

Totally agree about need to be decisive but do remember it's a massive decision (particularly if going for independent) so it's quite reasonable for people to spend a bit of time thinking it through.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 296
Surely better to keep options open until the 1st September?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:00 pm
Posts: 64
Agree and I think it is the same for all other school. In our particular we are on the waiting for Wallington and Nonsuch....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:08 am
Posts: 403
How can anyone truly keep their options open until September 1st?
Yes, in theory, parents could accept the offer from Tiffins and a private school too. However would those parents tell their child they're in school limbo whilst everybody else finishes year 6 anticipating their new school? Would the child attend both sets of induction events in the summer and not let on? Would the parents buy both sets of uniform? Would the child have to attend each school for half a week in September and make the final decision then?

Lovely as it is to have two genuine options, a child can ony attend one school and unless a sudden change in finances has thrown the decision into doubt, the same dilemmas about fees versus facilities will be no different in 6 months time than they were 6 months ago when children sat the exams.

Tiffins has no comeback at all if a parent decided to string things out in this way but independent schools can and do judge future family applications based prior experience so it is probably a risky strategy for anyone with younger children yet to go through the selection tests too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4599
Location: Essex
But they're not in limbo, are they? They are 'special', being allowed to take as long as they want to make up their minds. A position of power, not of helplessness.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:08 am
Posts: 403
The parents yes. However, I am sure most year 6 children would rather just know for certain where they are going just as their friends do.
Flip-flopping between 2 choices also becomes more disconcerting than comforting at some point because it invariably involves talking about the cons as well as the pros of each school and yet the child will eventually attend one of the schools where the cons, however trivial, have been so minutely picked over.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 296
There will be some selfish idiots that keep the state option hanging as long as their thoughtlessness requires. Hopefully they will see the reasoned responses caused by my previous comment and not hang on to their alternative place. As for us, we've already declined the state option online. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 7:52 am
Posts: 43
If a child has reached the cut off score and been offered a place at Tiffin but declines it in favour of a private school in accordance with the admission policy they are eligible for in year admissions later if financial circumstances change. This is not the case for children who do not reach the cut off score and can only reapply to Tiffin for sixth form.

So even if a Tiffin place is declined for a child originally offered it they can always reapply at a later date. Therefore I do not see any advantage to holding onto a second choice Tiffin place in addition to accepting a first choice private place and paying the deposit and autumn term fees.

Thank you to Womblemania and many congratulations on your DDs scholarship.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 3:43 pm
Posts: 36
Thanks Matrix - really kind of you.

Most of the reactions we've had have been to question why we would turn down Tiffin in favour of an independent. It's a very personal thing and shouldn't detract from DD's achievement. Getting a place at TGS is a huge achievement!

One of the teaching assistants at DDs school asked her where she was going and when she said 'putney' she was told she was a 'posho'. Her friends who also got Tiffin were congratulated. DD (bless her) didn't mention that she had a place at TGS. Modesty is a great quality.

We know of a few others who won't take up their places so hang in there people. At least TGS doesn't over offer like the indies so a place released will benefit those on the WL.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016