Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:15 pm 
Our DS got his first choice state grammar school and an independent school offer.

Due to personal circumstances we can't make our decision by the deadline, so we are thinking to accept both offers. The schools are in different boroughs.

Can we accept the offer from both and withdrawal from one at a later time?

Will there be any complications, legal issues etc?


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 5420
Location: RBK
If you eventually take grammar place, you will lose deposit or even a term's fee at indie.

If you go with indie, someone will agonise for grammar place from wait list longer than otherwise necessary.

However, there is no legal issue for you to accept both the offers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
there will be no communication between the schools and you will not be the only people doing this.

In 2008-2009 and onwards there were a lot of people unsure about jobs / money etc and many hung onto the very last minute to decide - if they went for the state GS they lost up to a terms fees (just make sure what accepting a place commits you to for your particular school - they vary ) but some felt that was better than feeling they had to pay out for 7 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:04 pm
Posts: 1187
Deleted by user.


Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 pm 
Thank you very much to all of you for replying to my post.


Last edited by Apple33 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 pm
Posts: 101
I would urge you to decline the Grammar School (if you are going to) as soon as you have made a decision.
There will be people on on the waiting list on that school will be agonising over the wait and uncertainty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 6694
Location: Herts
Will whatever is stopping you making the decision now be resolved by August? You will have a series of events at both schools which will make your dc very confused and you are causing major trauma for another family waiting for that space. Parents used to hold onto multiple grammar school places until the councils had to intervene. Now all are forced to choose which is a good thing. DG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 2248
OP mentioned not being able to decide yet, so assume there is some financial instability that needs to be dealt with first.
I totally agree with giving up spare place as soon as you are decided. Maybe. There are people out there that hang on to spare e's for the sake of it, but I really don't think many do. It's frequently referred to how "traumatic" it is for families waiting on the list to get in, but often there are difficult decisions to be made for those hanging on as well. This is a decision for your childs next 5 to 7 years and for some people the excision is not as cut and dried as for others.
In the meantime, at least when those places do become available, the next person on the list gets a nice surprise and it all settles down within a few weeks.
Just think that it's dangerous to assume people hang on to extra places when they've alsready decided. I really don't think they do, on the whole.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 2248
And also, "causing major trauma" - Really?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11952
Yamin151 wrote:
And also, "causing major trauma" - Really?


Yes - imagine finding out in September that there is a place at the school you wanted all along. Your child has the uniform for the other school, has attended the induction day and made a few friends - it is potentially traumatic decision to make.

Every year this happens to some poor families.

OP, I hope the situation resolves but I'd urge you to make a decision by the end of May as it is unfair to others.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016