Life at Sutton Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

babs

Life at Sutton Grammar

Post by babs »

Hello

I am sure this question has been asked but I cannot seem to find any relating threads.
My DS got into SGS and we have accepted, he is over the moon.

I wanted to see if anyone knew what life was like at SGS, heard lots of good things from several people but from no one who actually has children in the school.
Any advice, tips, suggestions or just general summary of the school will be great?

Thanks
tiffinboys

Re: Life at Sutton Grammar

Post by tiffinboys »

sgsmumof2 may come to help. Search her posts.
redstar

Post by redstar »

What sort of thing do you want to know?
Your DS will be in one of four houses (even with the +15 intake this year, they are keeping the four Blue, Brown, Green and Red houses)
As well as sharing the same house as the rest of the boys in his form and older boys up the school, they will participate in lots of house events: sport, drama, music, poetry, science etc which are great for team building.
As well as one day in school in the summer term to meet his new form teacher and classmates, and a separate social evening at Northey sports ground for boys+parents, the school also runs 4 summer activity days for new Year 7s in August: they are well worth going along - they are based around football, cricket, rugby and basketball but no level of skill is expected, they are just fun days to meet up with other boys.
It is a great school and provides lots of opportunities for the boys to get to know each other and settle.
The PTA will also sort out a contact list for your son's form so you can hook up with other people travelling from your area if you don't already know anyone. Because Sutton has good transport links, boys come from all over on buses and trains.
I think it is around May that you get a big bundle of paperwork from the school with more information and loads of forms to fill in.
Good luck to your DS, I'm sure he will have a lovely time at SGS.
SGSMumof2

Post by SGSMumof2 »

Thanks for inviting me to comment Tiffin Boys!
Babs your DS I'm sure will love the school. The pastoral care is excellent - the Head really cares about the boys and the spirit of the school has a real community feel. Many of the teachers are charming. They treat the boys with respect and expect them to be grown up (although of course that takes time). As there is little churn in teacher numbers they actually know who your DS is on parents evenings.
Boys are expected to behave well and work hard throughout the school day - consequently there is little homework until year 10. Year end assessments are just after Easter each year. Reporting is simple and uncomplicated. My DS has never received pressure to perform/over achieve. Its the welfare of the children that comes first not the reputation of the school in league tables. Hence the boys have fun and make great friendships. Never heard of any bullying.
Some boys are incredibly intelligent (apparently one year 10 boy studies cancer for a hobby and has been invited to Cambridge University to share his findings) but you have exceptional people in every grammar school. You do not need to be of this calibre to fit in.

I have met people from Sutton in my professional life too - accomplished, intelligent, polite men who are a credit to the school
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I hope that OP would be more than happy with such nice and detailed comments from SGS parents.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now