Wilson waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Wilson waiting list

Post by ToadMum »

newdud wrote:196 as a PAN does not work.

Max Class size is 30 , so 180/30 = 6 class / forms , what do they do with the other 16 ?
The maximum of 30 only applies to Yr2 and below, not to secondary schools. One of our local schools does have a PAN of 196, I think, but as it is a comprehensive I assume that classes differ in size depending on the amount for support required.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kuku123

Post by kuku123 »

Although being on the top 10 of the waiting list in Wilson, we haven't got any reply yet. After reading that they have already allotted 36 extra seats it's seems very difficult that there will be any movement on the waiting list. Anyone who has experienced being on waiting list like this? Any hopes in the month of May or June? Are there a lot of private schools near which will offer scholarships to the children in which case the movement will start?

Please suggest..
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Whitgift, Trinity are 2 of the nearby indies.
SydenhamDad

Post by SydenhamDad »

FYI - we gave up a Wilson's place yesterday as son got his first choice. I guess there will still be a lot of movement for those who are holding out for a place. Keep the faith!
kuku123

Post by kuku123 »

Thanks tiffinboys and SydenhamDad for the information.

Also thanks a lot for reminding me the wise words 'Have Faith' :)
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

kuku123 wrote:Although being on the top 10 of the waiting list in Wilson, we haven't got any reply yet. After reading that they have already allotted 36 extra seats it's seems very difficult that there will be any movement on the waiting list. Anyone who has experienced being on waiting list like this? Any hopes in the month of May or June? Are there a lot of private schools near which will offer scholarships to the children in which case the movement will start?

Please suggest..
There are as correctly pointed out by tiffinboys but then the exams for those schools were sometime in Jan, and the offer letters to all the students (including bursary and scholarships) went out in Feb. I believe the acceptance of those offers were also sometime in the first part of March.

But kuku123 your post is in April by when I believe all the seats in the private schools are taken up by then but there are usually some parents who hold on to the GS seats till end (some even commented that their DSs earned the seats so they want to cherish the achievement) without giving any thoughts to the kids who are on waiting list :(

There will be some movement when one gets their first preference school and leave Wilson.

Have patience , that's all I can suggest though I know it's very hard as well harsh on the family going through this waiting process.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Movements do happen up until the end of this term, and occasionally at the start of next term for all sorts of reasons. IME the two biggest sources of movement will be parents who are holding both state and indie finally releasing the state, and when 1 grammar space is freed up it can led to multiple reshuffles. Eg we know of someone who this week has been offered Olaves, which frees a Wilsons space which could be taken by a Sutton boy, whose Sutton space goes to someone else at Wilsons etc. Some boys will be on more than one waitlist. So if you have been offered your 3rd choice school, with say Wilsons as 2nd and Olaves as 1st, then if you are offered Olaves, you will stay on the Wilsons waitlist until they contact you (unless you remember to phone them to remove yourself). Also remember that the time taken to make offers and wait for acceptance can be nearly 3 weeks in some cases (many applicants will be outside the borough of Sutton). Some people also stay on the waitlist just to see what happens - they may have already settled on another school.

Don't get despondent about the 36 extra offers. Wilsons won't have chosen to overoffer by 36 and have a 25% risk having only 31 boys turn down places. They are more likely to be in a position where they estimate that 45 or more will turn them down. Those will have been made with the agreement of the LA, and I expect the school have looked carefully at their lists before setting that number. There will be children who came from all over the country to sit, and realistically once offer day has passed they will want a closer school. The school will also know which siblings have previously turned down offers for the school. There will be at least 30 boys who will be eligible for heavily reduced, even nil fees, at one of the independents. They will have almost certainly passed in the top 180 at Wilsons but will be wooed by the indies.

When you do hear from Wilsons, and it is very likely that you will, please do come back and update the forum. Hope you hear soon.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I would go along with all Ladymuck has said and remain very hopeful ( if you can).
The places seem to be offered in blocks rather than one by one from what I can gather. A very good local comprehensive near to us told a friend of mine they will be offering to the top six on the waiting list next week,mainly because people who were holding a place got grammar offers. The effects ripple out and free up places at multiple schools.
Best of luck.
kuku123

Post by kuku123 »

Thanks a lot to all of you for the information. As these statements have given more strength to be patient and confidence to remain hopeful. I will surely update on the forum when we will get the Good News!!
htm123

Post by htm123 »

Keep faith! We know of one person more than likely to turn decline Wilson's school place as one parent offered a job abroad. They haven't informed Wilson yet, as they are waiting for work contract to be finalized and house rented. This might take longer than couple of months though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now