MultiAcademy Trust for Nonsuch and Wallington High school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: MultiAcademy Trust for Nonsuch and Wallington High schoo

Post by tiffinboys »

Could next MAT be Tiffins?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I wonder, if both schools would have their own Head Teachers, what would the Executive HT do. Would she be just part of an additional administrative layer? Such positions usually create more paper work and more forms to fill and more reporting to do than actually working.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I suspect that the changes will be more in terms of what the individual school headteachers jobs are, and what deputies/assistant heads are still needed. All the hints are that this step is to reduce costs and to increase class sizes at 6th form.
Bestmumintheworld

Post by Bestmumintheworld »

I think it is an excellent idea if it goes ahead after the consultation. Most of the comments so far have been a bit on the negative side, but it is understandable as people dislike change.

One positive aspect is the greater cooperation and shared focus between both the schools, which can only be of benefit to the education of the pupils, which is every parents main concern.

One thing I hope it would put an end to is the one upmanship between parents who think they have got their daughter into the better school.

The main focus should be on attracting and keeping the best teachers, who can motivate and drive the girls to try their best and reach their potential.

Think postively people.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thinking positively does not mean one should not be wary of potential hazards and upheavals. Evaluating the proposal properly and in full is part of being positive.

Those who have seen hospital mergers in one trust may be more aware of potential pitfalls. Few years ago, it was Epsom General under threat and more recently, it was the turn of St Heliers. In any case, the administrative layers, bureaucratcy and senior admin staff have gone up.

Such concern should not be dismissed lightly and clear plan should be there for review during consultations.
victoria123

Post by victoria123 »

This exactly what I am worried about. I can't help feeling that it would be better for them to concentrate on recruiting good headteacher :|
Ela

Post by Ela »

And what a surprise for the new parents! Feeling tricked... :roll:
Bestmumintheworld

Why would it be a surprise for new parents, and why would they feel tricked? I think you are scaremongering.

Both schools already have Academy status. A MAT, (Multy Academy Trust) is a legal structure that brings two or more schools under control of one governing board while still functioning as seperate schools that retain their own identity. After leaving Local Authority control, the governing bodies must think that there is security in grouping together for funding and legal status.

The pupils at the schools will hardly notice any difference. The head teachers (newly recruited) and head of years will be responsible for the teaching, learning and student progress on a day to day basis. The governing bodies will be combined within the MAT.

Once the consultancy period is in progress and questions get answered, I am sure there will not be anyone feeling tricked.
Ela

Post by Ela »

Wouldn't it be nice to inform the new parents about this before they accepted the place in school A instead saying that you know, your school A merges with school B and you will attend school C... It will be a long process. Older girls will not be affected by it so much as the new year7. And nobody knows yet if it will turn out for the best of our children. I prefer certainty.
Bestmumintheworld

I wouldn't call it a merger of two schools. But I can see that it is a major concern for you. If it goes ahead I hope you will be able to reconcile to it. All the best to you and your daughter. :D