Nonsuch High - September 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lotsafun

Nonsuch High - September 2015

Post by Lotsafun »

My dd is due to start at Nonsuch High in September. We only had one day to decide between independent and grammar and I still worry about whether we have made the right decision!
Please can anyone with dds at Nonsuch give me the low down. What is the sport honestly like (is it plentiful and inclusive?). What is the music like? (Both sport and music are very important to dd). Do they make full use of their extensive grounds and facilities? What is the pastoral care like? Is it socially very cliquey? We don't live within the catchment area (although we are not too far outside it) and I do worry that she will suffer socially from not being nearer the school. Are there opportunities for all the girls to go on school trips abroad (I have heard that selection is done by ballot and many girls continually miss out....!)
I know someone whose dd started mid year in yr8 and really struggled to settle and find friends but hopefully this wouldn't be an issue when starting in yr7. I am probably overthinking things but obviously want the best for dd.
tiffinboys

Re: Nonsuch High - September 2015

Post by tiffinboys »

Lotsafun wrote:My dd is due to start at Nonsuch High in September. We only had one day to decide between independent and grammar and I still worry about whether we have made the right decision!
Please can anyone with dds at Nonsuch give me the low down. What is the sport honestly like (is it plentiful and inclusive?). What is the music like? (Both sport and music are very important to dd). Do they make full use of their extensive grounds and facilities? What is the pastoral care like? Is it socially very cliquey? We don't live within the catchment area (although we are not too far outside it) and I do worry that she will suffer socially from not being nearer the school. Are there opportunities for all the girls to go on school trips abroad (I have heard that selection is done by ballot and many girls continually miss out....!)
I know someone whose dd started mid year in yr8 and really struggled to settle and find friends but hopefully this wouldn't be an issue when starting in yr7. I am probably overthinking things but obviously want the best for dd.
It seems you know all you need to know. :wink:
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I'm not sure what TB means but an insider's view of the school would be very helpful.
Lotsafun

Post by Lotsafun »

Are there any Nonsuch parents out there? Please PM me if you would prefer.....!?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps 2outof3 may help.

However, as you have already made the decision, don't over worry. Nonsuch is one of the best schools.
flumper

Post by flumper »

Hello Lotsafun,

I am also wondering what it will be like. She is the only girl in her state school going, currently she's a bit miffed that she's not received a school visit as all her other friends have. We have induction day and welcome event coming up so hopefully that will reassure her that they do actually care :roll:

I've been looking at the school newsletters (downloadable on their website) as you can really get a sense of the activities, both sporty and musical. My DD is not sporty but she is musical so I'm encouraged by what's on offer.

It does seem a bit old-fashioned but hopefully in a good way ?? others will no doubt comment :D

I'm hoping the rumours/old stories about poor pastoral care etc are no longer true and of course there is a new headteacher to look forward to..
clickclack

Post by clickclack »

Hi,

My DD is coming to the end of her first year at Nonsuch and I can honestly say she has had a great year. Agree that the newsletters on the website give you a good flavour of the school. In response to the OP's questions:

Sport - lots of opportunities to get involved in year 7. Netball, hockey, and football in the autumn and spring terms. There are opportunities for all ability levels too. The PE department are keen to involve all girls, if they are beginners that's fine but if they want to play competitively then there are teams. The netball team is quite difficult to get into, understandable as with 210 girls to choose from (who have probably played at primary) the standard is high. There is development squad though which all girls can attend. Summer term there is rounders, tennis and athletics.

Music - fantastic provision with lots on offer, termly music tea's where the girls can perform. Various choir groups too. The standard is very good and you can have music lessons in school. My DD plays the piano although her lessons are outside school.

Pastoral care - it has been really good and form tutors are quick to respond to any issues. My DD has been very happy and has a great circle of friends. Although we have not experienced it I do know of some girls who struggled to find a friendship group that worked but this has now been resolved. This is not unique to Nonsuch though as year 7 can be a tricky time.

Trips - Some trips are oversubscribed and they do use a lottery system to allocate places. I am not sure if we have just been lucky but my DD has not missed out. That said the letters do all state that if your DD is not selected she will go on a waiting list. If a place came up DD's who have not been on a residential trip would be given priority over those that had been before.

If we had to choose again I don't think we would change our mind, happy to answer and more questions. I am sure your DD's will have a great time!
Lotsafun

Post by Lotsafun »

Many thanks for your replies everyone. I am very grateful for your detailed appraisal of the school CLICKCLACK, very helpful and reassuring.
Last edited by Lotsafun on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsuchdad

Post by Nonsuchdad »

Hi, just to reconfirm, on thursday 2nd July Induction day, we handover our DD at school at 8.45am, and then again go back to school to attend the parents meeting at 2pm? Between say 9am till 2pm, we parents are not required at all, right? Will plan the day accordingly, hence reconfirming :)
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

Yes, parents are not required until 2pm.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now