Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:42 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm
Posts: 29
Hi everyone

My daughter will be sitting the Tiffin girls school exams later next year. The first stage is the usual maths and English and we are planning on using the GL assessment papers which have been around since time began. She is familiar with a chunk of the KS2 curriculum.

The second stage exam seems to be open ended and no one is sure what practice materials to use for that. Any ideas or hints will be very helpful.

Kind regards
Vivian


Last edited by viv108 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 am
Posts: 837
Can you edit the title to say "Tiffin Girls exam for 2016 entry"? Many of the Tiffin threads are about catchments not exams, so getting the word exam into the title should help you to get exam-focussed answers.

The most significant change is that this is the first time the stage one test will be used for sifting only. The results are then disregarded and everyone who sits stage two will start with 0%.

In previous years, there was a disproportionate multiplier effect whereby the top scorer in stage one went into stage two with 30% towards the overall result, whereas the lowest scorer to qualify for stage two got just 1%. It amplified what must have been otherwise relatively small differences in score. I think the new system is much fairer. Shifting the focus to English and Maths also means every applicant's preparation will at least benefit their schoolwork regardless of how well they do on the exam day.

_________________
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. Thousands of retailers, no cost to you.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admissions arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:02 pm
Posts: 2149
+1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 5418
Location: RBK
Stroller wrote:
The most significant change is that this is the first time the stage one test will be used for sifting only. The results are then disregarded and everyone who sits stage two will start with 0%.

In previous years, there was a disproportionate multiplier effect whereby the top scorer in stage one went into stage two with 30% towards the overall result, whereas the lowest scorer to qualify for stage two got just 1%. It amplified what must have been otherwise relatively small differences in score. I think the new system is much fairer.

+1

Scaling method used by TGS was one of the issues, I wrote to the school about, as well as about VR/NVR tests. But I am beginning to worry that these tests may disproportionately favour prep schools children.

Coming back to preparation for stage 2 test, by now KS2 syllabus needs to have been fully covered. Need to work on independent schools past papers now, which could be obtained from their website. Cover some part of KS3 Maths syllabus.

Continue to read, read and read for Engish Reading tests. Passages usually come from books read by GCSE students, as mentioned by some parents whose DD took exam last year. Need to learn how to answer comprehension questions. Even when DC knows the answer, one could loose half the marks. Marking is tough (harsh ??) at TGS.

DC should be able to write well, really well, for Writing tests, which could cover any genre. Pay particular attention to SPaG and use of good vocab. Some one has recommended to use independent schools test preparation books at this stage.

Above all, don't over work. Enjoy holidays as well. Recharge batteries. Don't panic or at least don't pass your anxieties to your DC. Don't run to many tutors or intensive courses after courses. In most cases, it does not work. Just waste of money and energy.

I am sure, stroller, peridot, tobasco and other experienced parents could give us more useful tips. Good Luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm
Posts: 29
[quote="Stroller"]Can you edit the title to say "Tiffin Girls exam for 2016 entry"? Many of the Tiffin threads are about catchments not exams, so getting the word exam into the title should help you to get exam-focussed answers.

Good point... and done!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:29 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4594
Location: Essex
viv108 wrote:
Stroller wrote:
Can you edit the title to say "Tiffin Girls exam for 2016 entry"? Many of the Tiffin threads are about catchments not exams, so getting the word exam into the title should help you to get exam-focussed answers.

Good point... and done!


I hate to say it, but it now looks rather as if you mean the exam being taken in 2016. There are some folk who will see the title now and assume you are writing about your panic at not having done enough coaching so far for that...

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm
Posts: 29
tiffinboys wrote:
Stroller wrote:
The most significant change is that this is the first time the stage one test will be used for sifting only. The results are then disregarded and everyone who sits stage two will start with 0%.

In previous years, there was a disproportionate multiplier effect whereby the top scorer in stage one went into stage two with 30% towards the overall result, whereas the lowest scorer to qualify for stage two got just 1%. It amplified what must have been otherwise relatively small differences in score. I think the new system is much fairer.

+1

Scaling method used by TGS was one of the issues, I wrote to the school about, as well as about VR/NVR tests. But I am beginning to worry that these tests may disproportionately favour prep schools children.

Coming back to preparation for stage 2 test, by now KS2 syllabus needs to have been fully covered. Need to work on independent schools past papers now, which could be obtained from their website. Cover some part of KS3 Maths syllabus.

Continue to read, read and read for Engish Reading tests. Passages usually come from books read by GCSE students, as mentioned by some parents whose DD took exam last year. Need to learn how to answer comprehension questions. Even when DC knows the answer, one could loose half the marks. Marking is tough (harsh ??) at TGS.

DC should be able to write well, really well, for Writing tests, which could cover any genre. Pay particular attention to SPaG and use of good vocab. Some one has recommended to use independent schools test preparation books at this stage.



Thank you for the advice. At this stage, its nice to know that the uncertainty of the exam puts all of us on the same page. At the same time, we are so used to familiarising with exam papers and their formats before hand, that on this occasion, that some children may be at a disadvantage.

Thank you all for your responses so far. Any direct or specific materials suggested could also be helpful.

Regards


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm
Posts: 29
ToadMum wrote:
viv108 wrote:
Stroller wrote:
Can you edit the title to say "Tiffin Girls exam for 2016 entry"? Many of the Tiffin threads are about catchments not exams, so getting the word exam into the title should help you to get exam-focussed answers.

Good point... and done!


I hate to say it, but it now looks rather as if you mean the exam being taken in 2016. There are some folk who will see the title now and assume you are writing about your panic at not having done enough coaching so far for that...


ok.. should be clearer now. Haha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 4594
Location: Essex
Oops - sorry, OP, obviously I misread your initial post as 'this' rather than 'next' year :oops:

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm
Posts: 29
ToadMum wrote:
Oops - sorry, OP, obviously I misread your initial post as 'this' rather than 'next' year :oops:


No.. actually I made the initial typo. its next year for the following year entry.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016