Wilson - realistic outside of catchment?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
newbieSW

Wilson - realistic outside of catchment?

Post by newbieSW »

Hello, I am just looking at the Sutton grammars for DS. Is it really possible to get into Wilson's whilst not living in borough of Sutton?? They seem to have places for only a small number of boys outside of catchment..Thanks
Sun&Sky88

Re: Wilson - realistic outside of catchment?

Post by Sun&Sky88 »

My understanding is only when a score is tied that the place is offered to the Sutton Candidate.
All candidates are ranked and if 3 are on the same score the one that lives in Sutton say and the other 2 are not, the Sutton boy gets the place. In reality how many are on the same score and also live in Sutton is anyones guess. Nothing to lose just give it a go if you think the school is best fit.

DS is in Wilson and we are not in Sutton - he was in last years entrance exams. I had a quick look at the entrance criteria and I did not find a catchment area limitation except the issue of tied scores.

I am sure forum members will come along soon to confirm this.
newbieSW

Post by newbieSW »

Thanks Sun&Sky! Yes, it's the same for 2016 entry. As you say, it depends on how many have the same score. If anyone can let me know I'd be very grateful! We are looking at all the grammars. Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

newbieSW wrote:Thanks Sun&Sky! Yes, it's the same for 2016 entry. As you say, it depends on how many have the same score. If anyone can let me know I'd be very grateful! We are looking at all the grammars. Thanks
Does it matter where we live?
For practical reasons your son shouldn’t have a journey of more than an hour in order that he can fully participate in the wider life of the school. Where there is a tie in the scores from the entrance examinations, places are offered to boys who live in the London Borough of Sutton before those who live outside the Borough.
This is a selective boys’ school with approximately 1060 pupils. Boys in Year 6 of primary school in September 2014 and deemed to be of selective ability as determined by their performance in the entrance tests will be eligible for a place at the school. Where the number of eligible candidates for admission exceeds 180, places will be allocated according to their position in the rank order of the entrance examinations. Where candidates have the same rank order and where the admission of all would exceed the number of places available, places will be allocated in the following order:
firstly to candidates whose home address* is within the London Borough of Sutton in the order of the distance of their home address measured in a straight line from the main front door of Wilson’s School;
secondly to those candidates who live elsewhere in the order of the distance of their home address measured in a straight line from the main front door of Wilson's School.
this is a fairly common feature of oversubscription policies at selective schools. They will offer places on the ranked order of scores and then if there is a tie for the last place score, the places will be offered to Sutton boys before OOC boys.
newbieSW

Post by newbieSW »

Thanks! How common are tied scores?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

newbieSW wrote:Thanks! How common are tied scores?
Depending on the school there can be any number on the same rank - however this only comes into play if they are at the stage of being the last places allocated.
newbieSW

Post by newbieSW »

Thank you!,Def worth a try.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Wilson do not have a catchment area.

The information related to number of boys have tied scores is not available, in fact they do not reveal any scores at all, just pass or fail.
Last year around 2,000 boys took the stage one test (combined for all 3 Sutton GS). Only around 400 passed the Wilson second stage test and they made 196 offers.
Wilson tend to wight more score on their own second round test to get a final score for ranking. The second round English test tends to be more tougher than the maths.

In terms of popularity out of the three Sutton Boys GS, Wilson tends to be no 1. That should give you indication of how difficult it will be to get into the school.

This is purely my educated guess work, if you DS achieves an aggregate score of around 85%+ in both English and Maths then statistically OOC and Rank list will not be an issues, but fail or pass they will not tell you the score !

DS will start Wilson in Sept, we do not live in Sutton but in the neighboring borough.
newbieSW

Post by newbieSW »

Thank you! Really good to know
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now