Wallington/Wilsons/SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
J50

Re: Wallington/Wilsons/SGS

Post by J50 »

J50 wrote:
2outof3 wrote: Recent news includes in 2015 cricket season, every age group (U12, U13,U14 and U15) reached the final of the Surrey Cup.
Is that correct?

Looking at http://www.ssca.org.uk/ it looks like they lost in the First Round in every age group or am I missing something / in the wrong place??

Since 2outof3 seems to be an infrequent visitor I'll answer my own question! It looks like the cricket comments were exaggerated as the school clearly didn't make it through the first round in any of the Surrey County Cup competitions. There is a Sutton Cup also but I can't find info on that, but clearly that would have a very limited competitive element by nature of the small area! It is good to see that the school had 2 boys in the 11 for the Hobbs trophy last year, along with some very good County players.

Sorry, just like things to be correct, that's all!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

CoolParent123 wrote: Grammar Schools offer a place only upto GCSE
This is a big eye opener. My guess is most people embarking on 11+ are completely unaware of this. It would explain, though, why individual schools' data on GoodSchoolsGuide website shows a significant degree of movement in the 6th form (e.i. where their 6th form students come from).

How does this work in comprehensive schools? Do they also push some of their students out of the 6th form if their expected grades are not good enough?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

Well ... this is bit tricky .... :?

Comprehensive schools cannot filter out their own GCSE students unless they have defined a new set of admission policy and rules for Sixth form .... I presume, the school board and local council should give a nod for this.

In most of the cases boys / girls would automatically qualify for the sixth form of their own school ..... but not always the case ..... :roll:
Last edited by CoolParent123 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rejim2

Post by rejim2 »

It was so helpful to know the real facts!
Since it is mentioned that sutton selective schools do get rid of few students after gcse- could anyone give an idea what % of students are not allowed in sixth form -will that go even up to 30-35% respectively?
a- Wilson's
b- SGS
c- WCGS
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Apologies J50,

I am a very infrequent visitor nowadays hence the delay in getting back to you.

You are absolutely correct and my terminology was wrong. The age groups referred to all reached the final of the Surrey Plate competitions (and that isn't even correct terminology as each age group plate has its own name.) Well that's according to our internal match reports (the official website hasn't been updated.)

The Plate competition is indeed only for State schools eliminated in an early round of the full competition, and as is almost inevitable in sporting fixtures nowadays, the full competition is dominated by independent schools.

I wasn't being deliberately misleading :D I just thought it was a very good achievement for a state school to be so consistent across so many age groups albeit having lost their initial match. (By the way the finals haven't been played yet as they ran out of time last season. Tellingly, it looks as if all the Cup matches were completed on time :? )
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

CoolParent123 - thank you. Just when I thought I'm nearly done with worrying (subject to the 11+ results we're still waiting for!), it looks like I'll have to get on my eldest's case - he's just started his GSCE course in an indie selective... :roll:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Comprehensive schools cannot filter out their own GCSE students unless they have defined a new set of admission policy and rules for Sixth form .... I presume, the school board and local council should give a nod for this.
I can't think of a comprehensive in my borough which automatically takes all pupils through to 6th form - 6th form is a new round of entries. Every school has some form of requirement for 6th form entry, but they do vary enormously. Some schools won't take you in if you get a single C GCSE grade (I think St Olave's have this policy). Some schools require you to pass tests in your chosen A level subjects, others make offers based on GCSE grades. Equally the bar at AS level varies from DDE through to ABB, so in some schools students with BBB will have to leave at the end of Lower Sixth.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Since it is mentioned that sutton selective schools do get rid of few students after gcse- could anyone give an idea what % of students are not allowed in sixth form -will that go even up to 30-35% respectively?
There are essentially 2 questions to look at - how many students pass the hurdle to get into the 6th form (most), and how many get to do their first choice of subjects.

What you won't find public statistics for is the number of boys who have stayed on but have had to chose an alternative A level.

The 2014 data for WCGS shows 13 boys went elsewhere at GCSE and 28 boys left after 1 year in 6th form, with 23 finding places at other schools.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

The 2014 data for WCGS shows 13 boys went elsewhere at GCSE and 28 boys left after 1 year in 6th form, with 23 finding places at other schools.[/quote]

Not sure how to interpret this. Are these 'normal' statistic? Does anyone know how the other schools compare?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The point I was trying to make is that there will be apparent differences between the A level results of the schools as they can all select with different criteria. I'm not sure that you necessarily want to be reading too much into how many have to leave at each stage etc. Just that when you are comparing schools and cohorts, you need to bear in mind that there is another selection process at 6th form. And of course if league tables measure the percentage of A* grades at a level, then schools will try to select pupils who will achieve those grades, ignoring that it is possible to get into medicine at Leicester or engineering at Warwick with AAB. The schools with the highest number of A* grades aren't necessarily much more successful in getting pupils into the "best" universities than those who allow students to sit even if they are only predicted B grades.

If it is any help at all then the comparable figures for Whitgift were a net loss of 32 boys at GCSE (in reality more left, and others arrived) and 18 post AS levels. And for a nearby comp with around 70% 5A*-C at GCSE, then around 60% of pupils wouldn't be allowed onto A level courses, and a further 40% of the remainder wouldn't make it onto the 2nd year.

Do bear in mind that lots of things will change over the next 5 years. In particular league tables will now include "Progress8" measures looking at progress made as well as Attain8 data on the 8 best GCSE results. And schools should also become more open about the destinations of their pupils. The squeeze on school funding may mean that schools will be keener to hold onto their income-generators/students.