Wallington/Wilsons/SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ladymuck

Re: Wallington/Wilsons/SGS

Post by Ladymuck »

The boys schools may adopt a different approach. So far WCGS is the only boys school which has proposed entering a MAT, and in that instance it is to be with a free school rather than another grammar. No headteacher really wants to enter into a MAT and come under another executive head, so it would have to wait for one of the boys schools to have a gap at the top (as was the case with Nonsuch). But at the same time SGS has expanded as far as its site will allow but still will struggle to operate at that size in 4 years time, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see it try to form a MAT with another school at some point. Unfortunately the funding tide has turned against smaller secondary schools.
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

In response to your comment 2outof3 i have friends with boys further up the school at WCGS who indeed say the homework level actually decreases. I guess it felt a lot during that first term in year 7 but has def decreased a bit so far in year 8. Im also comparing with my other DS at a different school who gets less homework. My DS at Wallington is indeed coping very well with the homework, is independant and just 'gets on with it'. The boys are working at a much faster level in the classroom and this suits the intake of boys.

Woodbine, your comment made me laugh. My DS went to WCGS as a footballer and of course now plays A team rugby. He loves it. I'm still adjusting!!
Beck_mum

Post by Beck_mum »

every child will have a different perspective on the same school depending on what they are like as individuals and how they engage with the school themselves.

Thanks so much 2outof3 - you're completely right about different children having completely different experiences of the same school. Your thoughts about music, sport and homework are all very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Beck_mum

Post by Beck_mum »

thanks also 4mykids for your clarification about the cadets. It's definitely quite surprising as a prospective parent on an Open Day - I thought I might have inadvertently turned up at a military academy :lol: I take your point that it's optional and not a huge part of the school's life.
pond of sharks

Post by pond of sharks »

Hello

I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot about WCGS, WS, SGS, schools. My DS has got through WCGS and sat second round tests of both WS and SGS (eagerly waiting for the results). Since we live in an area with no Grammar school, we have applied to schools far and wide from QE, to Slough to Bucks and ofcourse, Sutton.
I have spent good time analysing the School performance table comparing the KS4 results, the Average Point per pupil and whole lot other metrics for schools in these Area.

One thing I notice is they all pretty much stack up very well on these metrics all the way through GCSE. WCGS, WS, SGS and QE fare at par with each other until GCSE.

What I don't understand is what makes the A level results so darn broader for these same schools when their GCSEs are at par.

Any thoughts from experienced old timers on this group.

Good luck to everyone and Thanks in advance
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

What I don't understand is what makes the A level results so darn broader for these same schools when their GCSEs are at par.
Exactly which parameters you are looking at?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

That one is easy - The schools essentially are reselecting pupils at the start of year 12 and 13. None of these schools are guaranteeing you admittance through to their 6th form when you pass 11+. Not only will schools have minimum target grades for you to enter the 6th form (which in fairness may not be too arduous - say 6 As at GCSE), but they can also set targets for individual subjects, so that even if you have the grades, you may find that you can't do the subjects that you want, which is another way of managing pupils "out". The individual subjects can say ask you to sit a test and require a higher mark than a GCSE A* (QEB apparently is known for this, and St Olave's does this for external candidates) Some schools are very canny on ensuring that they will only allow pupils to sit A2s if they are pretty much guaranteed at least an A.

I haven't got all of the figures to hand, but off the top of my head WCGS wouldn't let 28 students back at the end of year 12 last year as their AS results weren't good enough (but of course you won't find that data in a league table). Most schools do something similar, though of course it is down to each school to determine their own bar.

Hence you need to look at league tables very carefully (as you are doing) and ask what they're not telling you.

It may not factor into your 11+ choice as 6th form is quite a way off yet, but it does add to a student's stress in lower sixth if they feel they might lose their place. Even if they are successful it can be a shock to see friends being forced to leave.
pond of sharks

Post by pond of sharks »

Thanks LM for the useful info.

tb, you can get the detail break up under School performance table on http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and then filter by Secondary schools. You can then view details such as Top Line, KS4 Exam Results, Pupil Progress etc.
Very useful info, though this filtering at backend for entry into 6th form is a revelation for me.

Cheers
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

To Second to some of the points mentioned above :

I know a person whose son used to study at QE Barnet, refused to allow the boy to study Biology and Chemistry as the boy just secured 2A's and 5A'a overall but failed to secure atleast an A*. Ultimately he went to Brighton College, Hendon to pursue his sixthform as his aspiration was to become a Doctor.

It is true that even Wilson's is very strict at GCSE outcome and the boy cannot choose an elective if he secures a lower grade.
Another parent who has his son at St. Olive's mentioned that there are more girls in the six form as they managed to secure better grades at GCSE. A mixed school in sixth form is disadvantageous for the boys :(

In another case, few boys have moved from Surrey Grammar schools to the Independent St. George's, Weybridge to pursue the sixth form. Two reasons for this, one he could not choose the elective he wants and two he wants to pursue a professional degree at a Russell's Group of University which requires better grades in A Levels.

Grammar Schools offer a place only upto GCSE :|
Last edited by CoolParent123 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.