CAF form guidance

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: CAF form guidance

Post by tiffinboys »

We have option to put 6 choices, but we are putting 4 schools only on CAF.
3 grammars and one local comp.
mamu

Post by mamu »

newdud wrote:
After the allocation day can I then request to be in the waiting list to a completely new school for which my DD did qualify but was not in our earlier 6 choices in the CAF form?
I am not sure why you want to do that ?
You list 6 schools on the CAF then you go on the waiting list for a 7th school , that suggests that your prefrence is not correct. The CAF system is designed such that you will be allocated a places which takes your preference into account.
Putting school B in to 2nd does not prejudice your chance of getting into school A which may be your 1st choice. The schools do not know your preference when they receive your application via the CAF system as such they assign places based on the admission criteria only.

There is an excellent diagram on this site which shows how the system works.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=28833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as I understand, you can contact the 7th school and ask to go on the list.
Thanks new dud for the response. I'm sure many OOC parents will have the same dilemma like us. We probably are wasting 4 options HBS, TGS, Nonsuch & Walli Girls without knowing for sure whether we have a chance as OOC. Out of these 4 only one shared the score with us, two even have second stage exam due. Now we are left with 2 options which we think probably we have a sure shot. Whereas my DD has a good shot at Tonbridge girls and Rochester as OOC (but distance is a factor and we might need to move) and these are preferred schools compared to the last 2 CAF options. We also need to make sure that on 1st march we are not left with any grammar school unassigned. So my question is if I see that on 1st March I'm assigned with my 6th CAF listed preferred school (which was my sure bet) but I can now relocate and go for Tonbridge or Rochester can I then request these schools to keep us in the wait list?
lcloserg

Post by lcloserg »

We would like to appeal the SGS result, so wondering in what preference it should be listed on the CAF. My DS has qualified for Wallington and will be happy if he got into either; SGS being the first choice.

Do we need to place SGS as the 1st preference if we plan to go through the appeal process ?

Also, any thoughts on how close we need to be the pass score to be hopeful for a successful appeal?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you would really prefer the school for which your DS has not qualified, put it first. You won't get a place (on the grounds of non-qualification), but that won't affect your chance of getting a place at a school for which he has qualified. If you put that school first and he gets his place there, the reason you will probably get officially for not getting SGS is 'allocated higher preference school', i.e. you didn't get it or any further down your list, because you told the LEA that there was a school you liked more, for which your child was qualified. As far as they are concerned in that instance you would have got what (you said that) you wanted.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
lcloserg

Post by lcloserg »

Thanks ToadMum for your prompt reply.

Anyone else has any thoughts on how close we need to be near the passing mark for a successful outcome?
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

The trouble with appealing when the test hasn't been passed is your DS is prob a long way off from the score needed to actually get a place at the school. In my experience many boys are placed on waiting lists who have passed the test but never receive a place. I'm thinking it will be quite hard to appeal a place for a DS who unfortunately has missed the cut off pass mark.
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Maybe not a long way off the score but prob many boys infront if you see what I mean? Often lots of boys have similar scores.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

pooziepuzzle wrote:Maybe not a long way off the score but prob many boys infront if you see what I mean? Often lots of boys have similar scores.
As far as I am aware, the appeal panel is not meant to know where you are on the waiting list (although if they know that he didn't actually pass, they might guess that the answer is,'not even on it...'). You need to demonstrate that.at your DS is, in fact, of the required academic standard, despite his score on the day. However, the school might successfully argue that to admit your / other DC over PAN would be detrimental and the most that you might achieve is the right to a place on the waiting list.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mamu

Post by mamu »

So the question remains after 1st march can we approach the council or school to be on the waitlist for a preference which was not originally listed in CAF but the DC has passed the school's or council's test with good marks.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

In principle any child is allowed to apply for any school at any time even once they are already placed at a school or even once they hold an offer for a school.

Grammar schools won't have any spare places to give to anyone requesting one in March so in that case, the sensible option would be to deny the request but add that child to the waiting list in their correct position using score and distance. They definitely add people to lists who shouldn't be on there if the CAF was strictly followed after March eg people who got their higher preferences and changed their mind
It is definitely what Sutton as a whole has done in previous years too. People have asked to be added to the waiting lists of schools which they did not originally name at all and have had this request granted. In Sutton it is sometimes encouraged in fact eg those who do not get allocated any school from their list are sent details on how to be added to multiple waiting lists and are encouraged to consider lots of other schools which they did not initially name.
In other regions though (and perhaps in Surrey or neighbouring boroughs), fresh applications in March are bundled in as an extension of the October application process and as such, limits on the number of lists a person can be added to are imposed. In those cases, adding a child to a new list, requires removing them from another list to keep the overall number the same.
Perhaps if you ring the admissions people on Monday, you can be more certain about what your March options in your area would be.