SGS result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moormum

Re: SGS result

Post by Moormum »

newto11+, PurpleDuck thank you so much for your support! Yes, we are very proud of our brave boy!
Moormum

Post by Moormum »

I have one more question. I'm trying to analyze the total score. Does anybody know what was the pass mark for SET?
Gee

Post by Gee »

Many thanks Ladymuck. My DS has passed all the Sutton's school. He has also passed Tiffin. However we are OOC from Tiffin with 1.5km. Not IC for SG. So, thinking if we move a bit before March to be in IC, and update our add, would that be helpful in the school's selection process? Certainly can't move before 31st Oct!

Many thanks for the responses.
Inthezone

Post by Inthezone »

Moormum wrote:I have one more question. I'm trying to analyze the total score. Does anybody know what was the pass mark for SET?
I am trying to do the same as DS passed Wallington and I'm trying to understand if his SET mark is high enough to have a reasonable chance of securing a place.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I think you need to work out how changes to address will be treated for the purposes of the admissions for each school, and the best way to do this would be to email each school and get a written response. It is unfortunately possible to move to the bottom of the ranked list simply by submitting a late application for the school, and you need to be certain as to how each school (being their own admission authority) will treat this. Do not assume that the system is the same for each school. Even if someone from the forum can give you their firsthand experience, there have been subtle changes to admissions policies and processes every year. It would be far easier, and leave you with more certainty, to email each of the schools directly.

admissions@suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk
enquiries@wcgs.org.uk
admissions@wilsonsschool.sutton.sch.uk
admissions@tiffin.kingston.sch.uk
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

To those asking about a last minute house, the advice is to speak with each admission authority and see where it would leave you regarding being classed as a late applicant and which is the very last date they would accept a new address before placing you in that late applicant category.

Some people come under a new borough if they move. Some won't and will be updating an address in the same borough but, either way, it isn't the case that you can move any time between now March and have that new address considered as the on time application address. The application deadline is October 31st but some admissions authorities offer a period of grace for new people moving to an area after October but before March. In most cases this is a few weeks and it will not for example be possible to move in the new year and still be classed as being on time.

As an example Sutton's Transfer to Secondary policy says:
The address that we will use in the allocation process may vary depending on the school applied for and the date you moved. Any offer of a place based on where your child lives is conditional on your child being resident at this address at the closing date for applications or the date specified by the school.
In addition their last last last date for making changes to preferences (with good reason submitted in writing) or address is 10th December 2015. If you change address after that date for any reason at all, you will be classed as a late applicant and your form won't even be considered until March 2016. Some boroughs and schools are much less generous so again, do check and get it in writing before committing to a house move. Ladymuck's point is crucuial, it can and does vary and it would be awful to go to lots of upheaval and expense only to miss out.

All of this refers to genuine house moves of course. There is also a whole section on the penalties for people who rent just to get a school place and maintain another home elsewhere. That definitely isn't allowed.
Last edited by loopylou on Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gee

Post by Gee »

Thanks again loopylou and Ladymuck. We are currently renting house. So, no problem in moving house. Will write to the school.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

In that case Gee, it is worth getting the answer in writing from the schools as soon as possible.
Certainly for Sutton it appears to be a December 10th deadline with the move finalised and the important paperwork submitted to prove it. Do check though. It would be terrible to go to all that hassle only for the individual school deadline to be different.
Also consider that nobody knows the cut offs yet. Whilst moving in catchment can only improve the chance of a place, it may not be necessary. Would you be upset to have moved only to find that your son's score would have secured a place anyway? If not, and if you can manage it all in time, it would be worth looking at.
dustin

Post by dustin »

Congratulations to all boys and parents who got through 11 plus! :D A real nightmare.... My DS passed SGS, Wilson and Wallington and now going for Tiffins second stage exam.

Any idea about Tiffins second stage exam.... I have heard you need special preparation for Tiffins is that true?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

dustin wrote:Congratulations to all boys and parents who got through 11 plus! :D A real nightmare.... My DS passed SGS, Wilson and Wallington and now going for Tiffins second stage exam.

Any idea about Tiffins second stage exam.... I have heard you need special preparation for Tiffins is that true?
Congratulations, dustin! I assume the 'nightmare' bit refers to all the waiting for the results and not the outcome! :lol:

If your DS passed all three Sutton grammars, I doubt there is anything particular you need to prepare for Tiffin. It's going to be standard maths, comprehension and essay - all of which he can clearly do very well! :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now