The Heads response to Wallington email

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
phantomguzzler

Re: The Heads response to Wallington email

Post by phantomguzzler »

how do you know they have not passed that many previously? It is one thing to pass x number of students through SET but another the number that sit second stage. We met quite a few in line who were quite transparent about it being a mock, first stage, given tiffins was the day after Wilsons I can see why people wouldn't want to do the second stage as an additonal mock (plus it was a school day). I have never seen any stats on the numbers invited to sit second stage vs the numbers actually sitting but they are two different things. My theory is that the number of mock sitters was higher this year as well given Tiffins test changed to supposedly be more like the SET so it would have been a good mock test for them ie. no verbal or non verbal.
mags18

Re: The Heads response to Wallington email

Post by mags18 »

phantomguzzler wrote:I think what people are forgetting is that there were so many kids taking the first SET as a mock and they didn't do the second stage for Wilsons or SGS or both. I know of someone that had a candidate number over 1200 for Wilsons which indicated to me that over 1200 had passed the first stage. In the end only what 850 odd kids turned up for the second stage (ie. 350 or so were taking it as a mock, or only interested in Sutton or Wallington etc.) but Wallington's pass mark could clearly have been much higher passing the top 751 as opposed to the top 1300. So what happens if those 350 mock takers also don't want Wallington, that pushes their number down to 401 much lower than the 550 boys who passed SGS or Wilsons. Once again Wallington could conceivably find themselves lacking in students.
Last year SET results had 1850 boys+girls passed from 4350 total with roughly same ratio. Its highly unlikely that first round SET Wilson cleared 1200 boys this year unless they were aware and expecting surge of tourist candidate-ie if for example instead of 2300 odd boys like last year, they found that 3500 have registered for SET, perhaps that can give them indication of possible mock takers.
I do agree that there are always cases when candidates doesn't sit for 2nd round for reasons already mentioned here already though we don't know for sure how many were actually invited.

Wish these schools clear the air and provide more transparent information.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now