Schools on CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum2005

Schools on CAF

Post by Mum2005 »

Hi all.
Congrats to all those who took part in the tests. I for one am happy to not be going through all of this for another good few years.
My DS passed for WCGS, SGS and Wilsons.
It was a big surprise as he had not finished the Sutton Maths.
We are local to all the schools with Sutton being about an 8min walk.
I have only listed these 3 schools on the CAF as they are the only schools We want. Judging by the numbers that passed would you say there is a good chance everyone gets a placement this year?
Hoping I have not made a mistake by not adding other schools.
I am new to the selective system.
Woodbine

Re: Schools on CAF

Post by Woodbine »

Given the admission criteria for Sutton Grammar I would say you should be very,very confident of getting a place if you're only an eight minute walk. But you are not penalised for listing additional schools so there's no harm naming some non-selective that you find palatable.
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Mum2005, is sutton your first preference? :wink:
Mum2005

Post by Mum2005 »

Yes it is. I think I will need to forget about it till March. It may drive me crazy ;)
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Our DS passed these 3 and going for Tiffin's second stage as well. Along with these,I was advised to put at least 1 comp in the CAF. They say if one passes all 3 then there is more than 99% chance of getting into one of these schools.However,I strongly feel putting one comp as a fallback option would be a wise thing to do.
Can we do any modifications to the application before 31st after we hit the 'submit' button?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, you could modify; but don't forget to resubmit the form.
newto11+

Post by newto11+ »

Mum2005,There is a high chance that he'll get into one of these 3 schools. So If you can't add an extra one now,better you forget abt it and relax. Well Done to your son btw.
And well done to you for filling up the CAF quickly.We are still deliberating.. :(
Mum2005

Post by Mum2005 »

Thanks newto11+. Good luck to your son for Tiffins.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I don't want to put a dampener on this, but if you are within the postcodes reserved for the 75 local places at Sutton, then you obviously have a much stronger chance than if you were not. Last year everyone who passed all 3 did get a place, but that was fairly exceptional, and I believe some of the schools have increased the numbers passing this year to reflect the amount of tourism/mocks that they are seeing. By having access to the SGS catchment places you are in a stronger category than other parents, and based on previous years, whilst having passed all 3 schools is a good sign, I wouldn't have put the chances of a place as high as 99%. It comes down to where you are on each ranked list and the relative preferences of the candidates above you, and there will be many strong-performing candidates who did not sit for all 3 schools for example.

So whilst you may be in a strong position due to your proximity to SGS, I would still urge any other parent who is able to put all 3 on the CAF to also add another school that they could expect to get into in the event that they had scraped passes at all of these schools. It would be disastrous enough, from such a strong position, to not have a place at a grammar having passed all 3, but made much worse if you are offered no school at all (I think all Sutton schools were fully subscribed on offer day last year).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mum2005 wrote:Hi all.
Congrats to all those who took part in the tests. I for one am happy to not be going through all of this for another good few years.
My DS passed for WCGS, SGS and Wilsons.
It was a big surprise as he had not finished the Sutton Maths.
We are local to all the schools with Sutton being about an 8min walk.
I have only listed these 3 schools on the CAF as they are the only schools We want. Judging by the numbers that passed would you say there is a good chance everyone gets a placement this year?
Hoping I have not made a mistake by not adding other schools.
I am new to the selective system.
If these three are genuinely the only state schools which are acceptable to you, then presumably you have good independent school 'back-ups'? If you would prefer to have no state school place at all rather than send your DS to a comprehensive school, then there is no need to name a fourth or subsequent school on your CAF.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now