Streatham/Balham to SGS/Wilsons journey... Advice please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chilledmum

Streatham/Balham to SGS/Wilsons journey... Advice please!

Post by Chilledmum »

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and my DS has just passed all the Sutton tests which has come as a bit of a bolt from the blue as he's not been tutored for them...
We now need to make quick decisions and wondered whether anyone knows boys who have regularly commuted from Sarf London, and if so, how they tend to cope with the journey. The walk from Waddon to Wilsons scares me a little as DS currently walks 2 mins to his local primary school!!!
Appreciate any suggestions/ experiences shared!
Thanks all
pooziepuzzle

Re: Streatham/Balham to SGS/Wilsons journey... Advice please

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Big congrats to your DS especially as you were originally told he'd not passed the SET. I don't know any who travel from Balham but I know there are loads of boys who travel from SW19 to all the boys grammars. The Wilson boys tend to get the tram then a bus to the school. It is daunting thinking of them travelling at first as most are used to that 2 min walk to school but they really adjust quickly. It's amazing how many routes they find within a short time. My DS found the older boys travelling really helpful, showing him different routes when he'd missed a train for example. They become very independent very quickly. If you have good train links I really wouldn't worry too much.
Chilledmum

Post by Chilledmum »

Thank you so much poozie for your reassurance!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Hi Pooziepuzzle,
Very well done to your son. I drive through Waddon each morning and loads of Wilson's boys come via Waddon station. They then get either the 154 the couple of stops to school or a few walk. Lots of boys in my son's year from Clapham and Balham. My son sometimes goes back with them after school. He says it's an easy journey.
Chilledmum

Post by Chilledmum »

Thanks moon unit. We are in a quandary as we have an outstanding local comp 15 minutes walk where our DD is thriving, but we feel a grammar would suit DS more as he's very sporty & more into maths/ science.. It's a tough one!
:?
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Presume you're referring to Dunraven? It's tricky. I also could have sent my DS to our good local school in walking distance with his brother and questioned sending him so far to school. I felt the grammar would suit him better and I told myself if I didn't work for any reason, for example the travelling I was in a lucky position that I could easily move him as a sibling. Thankfully I feel the travelling is worth it. The big downside/ difference is my other DS has loads of local friends who all meet up regularly, living very close to eachother. My DS at the grammar doesn't have this huge local network of friends. Something to think about.
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Saying that though I think the grammar schools are very good at putting boys from the same area/postcode in the same class/ house group. WCGS def do this. Then of course they meet boys doing the same journey.
Chilledmum

Post by Chilledmum »

Yes pooziepuzzle I'm talking about Dunraven... Great school but my ds is much more arts/ dance/ drama than maths/ science, and not really sporty... She has a massive circle of friends within a mile of our house which has been amazing... hmmm.... what to do??? :wink:
Wingman100

Post by Wingman100 »

Hi,

I cannot comment on Waddon to Wilsons other than to say that I wouldn't fancy that walk myself in the dark let alone my son ;-).

Balham to SGS is really easy if you are close to Balham Station. There is a direct train from Balham to Sutton (20-25 mins) and it is a 5 minute walk from Sutton station to the school. I am aware of a number of boys who make a similar commute so imagine that they will not be doing the journey alone.......

Good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now