Wallington and Nonsuch confusion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vanni123

Wallington and Nonsuch confusion

Post by vanni123 »

Hi bit confused filling the CAF form as my DD qualified NonSuch second stage with 302 and Wallington as well but no idea of Wallington scores, She also qualified for Bucks and Slough. Kendrick on borderline so not expecting her to get Kendrick, we are in Reading, not sure whether to put nonsuch or Wallington as an option.... though daughter is keen in Wallington (please share your experience) or are we going to loose one option by putting Wallington as the first option. Any idea about Hershal, Upton Court and Burnham in terms of ranking/report and reviews and in place order to fill CAF. Any experts advice welcomed asap.
Tinkers

Re: Wallington and Nonsuch confusion

Post by Tinkers »

Firstly, you need to put them in your order of preference. Since you live in Reading, I'd guess that despite being borderline, Kendrick would be your first preference. If it is then put it first on the CAF. What score did you get?

As for the others, have you seriously looked at the journies involved? I looked up the journey from East Reading to Herschel the other day for another poster And it's not going to be an easy one. (1 hour 20 mins on public transport). The others aren't going to be any better. Are you planning on moving?

I don't know the admissions policies for the various schools mentioned, but do you know that you stand a chance of getting a place if you are not in catchment.

Ideally you need to have a school you are happy with that you are definitely going to get as your last choice, to avoid the risk of getting a school you haven't put on your form and didn't want. I don't know where you are in Reading, but do you have a decent catchment comp you should be putting on the list.
vanni123

Post by vanni123 »

Thanks Tinkers for your quick reply, yeah definitely i am putting Kendrick as our first option, 2nd we were thinking of Nonsuch or Wallington, Nonsuch we are not sure looking last year reviews but i know people got the place at Nonsuch with 321 ooc and 311 as ic but the cutoff were different last year, this year its 250 but 700 qualified so dont know where my daughter stands, for Wallington i know we will be playing blind, we realise that if we would have been in catchment our chance would have been much better but yes if she gets through we are ready to move to Sutton. Next option we are thinking of Hershal as lot more children are going from Reading and its not too bad, many parents from Reading are putting Hershal as their first option in CAF as Hershal is planning to run a school coach very soon. For me Hershal, Upton and Burnham(Burnham) will be almost same, but not very sure about the ranking as a grammar school, so confused as we have only 4 options to put in Caf.
More confused as my daughter is really keen for Non Such and Wallington, but No clue about her chance of getting there plus we dont want to loose our other Caf options :?
Help help help :(
mpsv

Post by mpsv »

hi Vanni,

my daughter is in year 4 and we are looking to move to place wher DD will have a grammar school.we live in salisbury with one grammar school. We thought of moving to Reading but nor sure what my daughters chances would be ...hence looking at Kent and sutton as a option. Do you have any recommendations based on your experience.

Thanks
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

vanni123 wrote:Thanks Tinkers for your quick reply, yeah definitely i am putting Kendrick as our first option, 2nd we were thinking of Nonsuch or Wallington, Nonsuch we are not sure looking last year reviews but i know people got the place at Nonsuch with 321 ooc and 311 as ic but the cutoff were different last year, this year its 250 but 700 qualified so dont know where my daughter stands, for Wallington i know we will be playing blind, we realise that if we would have been in catchment our chance would have been much better but yes if she gets through we are ready to move to Sutton. Next option we are thinking of Hershal as lot more children are going from Reading and its not too bad, many parents from Reading are putting Hershal as their first option in CAF as Hershal is planning to run a school coach very soon. For me Hershal, Upton and Burnham(Burnham) will be almost same, but not very sure about the ranking as a grammar school, so confused as we have only 4 options to put in Caf.
More confused as my daughter is really keen for Non Such and Wallington, but No clue about her chance of getting there plus we dont want to loose our other Caf options :?
Help help help :(
If you only have 4 choices, and you are putting Kendrick first, then putting both Wallington and Nonsuch down, you really do need to make sure your fourth choice is one you will definitely get. Especially since you are borderline for Kendrick and have no idea what chance you have for Wallington and Nonsuch. So pick whichever out of Herschel, Upton or Burnham you know you will absolutely, definitely get. Forget about their rankings. They are all going to be great schools and one or two % is not going to make any difference to you either way. Otherwise, you could end up getting whatever school in Reading has spaces for you, regardless of what you have put down on your CAF. Since I don't know exactly where you live in Reading, I have no idea what school you might end up with.
If you work out that it still isn't a certainty of getting a place at Herschel, Upton or Burnham, then pick a local school you will be happy with that you know you will get for your fourth choice, and pick your two favourites from Wallington, Nonsuch, Upton, Herschel and Burnham. Hopefully you have looked at all of them, and have a good idea which ones are the best fit for your DD.

I can't emphasise enough the importance of putting down at least one school you will definitely get on the CAF.
vanni123

Post by vanni123 »

Thanks Tinkers thats what i am going to do ...luckily i have an outstanding school in our catchment so i might be putting it as my last option and hope my DD will surely get a place at Hershal, by looking at the scores and previous experience, still fingers crossed.
vanni123

Post by vanni123 »

Hi Mpsv
Think and research carefully before moving to Reading as Reading only have one grammar school for girls but Slough, Bukinghamshire and Sutton have more options for grammar school. Just google the grammar schools of Bukinghamshire, Slough and Sutton ,you will get an idea.
Good Luck
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

mpsv wrote:hi Vanni,

my daughter is in year 4 and we are looking to move to place wher DD will have a grammar school.we live in salisbury with one grammar school. We thought of moving to Reading but nor sure what my daughters chances would be ...hence looking at Kent and sutton as a option. Do you have any recommendations based on your experience.

Thanks
I would recommend move to turnbridge wells in kent or amersham in Buckinghamshire.

As these counties have more Grammar schools. And they are good schools

Regards
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

vanni123 wrote:Thanks Tinkers thats what i am going to do ...luckily i have an outstanding school in our catchment so i might be putting it as my last option and hope my DD will surely get a place at Hershal, by looking at the scores and previous experience, still fingers crossed.
Hi Vanni
I wouldn't put nonsuch as last year cutoff was 321
My DD also scored 305 so we are not putting that as one of choice since we have only three choices in CAF.
Wallington chances are there since many from 700 apply for Nonsuch .
But it's again gamble without knowing score.
DD scores change in every school

Our DD scored 124.40 in kendrick
we cant apply since we live in o/c.
She will be ranking between 22 to 32 on 93 places
I would put hershel as one of the option
mpsv

Post by mpsv »

Thanks curiousappa..., amersham any specific location u can suggest