Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:13 pm 

180 girls will be offered places by their borough on Tuesday 01/03/2016 for entry to TGS year 7 in September 2016. If you applied online and live in a London borough, the results will be available online from 5pm that evening. The school will post letters with scores the same day, so more detail will be available a day or two later.

It's the first year of a new process, where the stage 2 ranked score is the only one used for allocation day; round 1 was merely a gateway to round 2. [Previously, round 1 results were scaled disproportionately to spread the results. The girl who scored highest on round 1 used to walk into the stage 2 exam with 30% of the final result already in her pocket; the lowest ranked girl, by contrast, walked in the door with just 1% secure.]

Determined admission arrangements for entry in 2016-2017

Admissions - Year 7 - frequently asked questions

Admission to Kingston Borough Secondary Schools - 2016

How long will it take my daughter to get to TGS by public transport?

On TFL's journey planner http://www.tfl.gov.uk put your postcode as the starting point and the school's postcode KT2 5PL as the destination. Set the arrival time to 08:15 on a school day to allow a small buffer and see how long the journey is likely to take in normal circumstances.

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... chool.aspx

Is it a journey you would be happy to do? Remember that there are plenty of meetings, concerts and school events you should attend to support your child and her school.

My daughter has been offered a TGS place. What next?

If your daughter is offered a place and you want it, great. Complete the paperwork quickly when it arrives.

If your daughter is offered a place you definitely don't want, please decline it swiftly.

My daughter has been offered a TGS place, but we're undecided. What next?

(a) Some families decline because they realise the journey to TGS would be ridiculous and/or they have an alternative they prefer.

(b) Some go on the waiting list for a state school that makes more sense; they're lucky enough to get an offer they prefer in round two of another school's offers and then decline TGS.

(c) Some who didn't get a first round offer from their preferred independent school are offered a space in the next round from its waiting list (perhaps triggered by a decline from someone who chose TGS instead). They accept it and release the TGS space.

(d) Those who hold offers from one or more fee-paying schools, as well as TGS, are liable for a booking deposit, followed closely by a demand for a hefty chunk of fees. Transferring hard cash encourages clarity of thinking. When the choice is finalised, considerate families who choose a different school release the unwanted TGS place swiftly.

In all of the above scenarios, considerate families decline their unwanted state school places ASAP.

My daughter (probably) scored enough for a TGS place, but we have been allocated a school we ranked as a higher preference on our common application form. We've changed our mind and would love her to join TGS if a space becomes available. What next?

Some realise their TGS score would have been high enough (or very near it) to receive an offer and are disappointed that they were instead offered whatever school they originally listed as a higher preference on their common application form. They ask their borough / the school to add them to the waiting list for TGS. Their score determines their rank on the waiting list; if their score is higher than the score of those who are already on the waiting list, they may even be offered the very next available space.

My daughter really wanted a TGS place, but has not been offered one. What next?

If the letter from the school gives you a score, but not your ranked position on the waiting list, put a reminder in your calendar to contact the school at the appropriate time -typically after Easter - for further information.

As families decline offers they no longer want, places become available. Once the school has a formal paper/digital record that the space has been declined, they can contact the next person on the waiting list. Reading through this forum, you'll see that the first phone calls to the waiting list happen about 10 days or so after allocation day.

Things go quiet over Easter, but in the cold light of day interesting things happen in the background. Don't abandon hope yet.

1. If your daughter scored just (perhaps one or two percent, or possibly slightly more this year because the bizarre round 1 scaling effect has been removed) below the cut off score published in your letter, take a deep breath, cross your fingers and hold on. Ask to remain on the waiting list. Accept the next best offer so you remain in the system and have a guaranteed place - somewhere - for September. If things change, decline unwanted places swiftly.

SVE posted in a previous year that the following formula is a useful way to guesstimate approximate rank:

=1400*(1-NORMDIST(SCORE,200,25,TRUE)) in Excel is your friend (if you guesstimate the std deviation to be 25)... give approx rank.

It's worth trying as a way to get your head around where you stand.

Don't worry about whether your child will be able for the school. Anyone who is offered a place should be capable of keeping up, unless it took vast amounts of effort to the exclusion of everything else for years. If the pace proves too fast, it's always easier to find a space at a less selective school. So far, I'm not aware of anyone in the current year 7 who floundered or left.

If you'd like to read more about this, try http://headguruteacher.com/2013/07/17/a ... ell-curve/
Read all the way to the bottom of it - the regression analysis is interesting.

2. If your daughter really wanted a place, but has a score that clearly is not borderline, make peace with the fact that you have no realistic chance of being offered a TGS place and move on. You may ask to remain on the waiting list, but you MUST also accept an alternative school offer, otherwise you risk not having any school place in September.

Appealing is an option to consider, but successful TGS appeals seem to be exceedingly rare, so it's unwise to pin your hopes and dreams on it. Check this document for the Appeals process and timeline.

Page 38 of the Kingston Secondary School Admissions brochure suggests that 11 appeals were heard for 2015 entry, with zero places awarded as a result: https://www.kingston.gov.uk/download/do ... e_2016.pdf

Data from previous years - your mileage may vary!

For September 2015 entry
Candidates who registered for stage 1 test 1478
Candidates who sat the stage 1 test 1273
Applications to the school 571
Candidates invited to stage 2 test 463
Candidates who sat the stage 2 test 443
Published admissions number (places available) 150

Cut off scores on allocation day since the two stage process was introduced:
2015 54.27
2014 53.93
2013 49.78 (round 1 cut off 219)

Can you share scores that were good enough to receive a late offer from the waiting list since the two stage process began?

If anyone has contacted the school and can share the final cut off score of the last girl admitted to year 7 (by the end of year 7), please post it, or PM it to me or a moderator so this can be updated. Likewise, knowing the scores of people who got a waiting list place quite late in the day would offer hope to this year's group. Again, feel free to PM if you'd rather not be identifiable.

Having these numbers would be particularly useful for those who sat the test in year 6 and wish to apply for in-year vacancies later. Having done the test once, you are only eligible to apply to TGS for in-year admission later if your daughter's score - when she sat the test in year 6 - was equal to or higher than that of the last girl admitted to year 7 in the cohort you wish to join. http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... -Year.aspx

Comment

I compiled this post to help those who may be going through the process for the first time. I realise that I've posted it a little early, but there's plenty to read and consider while you await results. Good luck. Fear not.

If you'd like to get an understanding of what the school is like in practice, try this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42738

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admissions arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:06 pm 

I am not blessed with daughters but this is a great post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:27 pm 

Wow! Stroller, great work. Maybe it should be a sticky?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:40 pm 

Adding a link to National Rail http://www.nationalrail.co.uk because trains connect some parts of the catchment area, that aren't served well by TFL.

Can any of you help to fill in the blanks for September 2016 entry? Some of the answers will be in the letters you received from the school.

Candidates who registered for stage 1 test ? (was 1478 for 2015 entry)
Candidates who sat the stage 1 test: 1358 (was 1273 for 2015 entry)
Applications to the school ? (was 571 for 2015 entry)
Candidates invited to stage 2 test ? (was 463 for 2015 entry)
Candidates who sat the stage 2 test: 458 (was 443 for 2015 entry)
Published admissions number (places available) 180 (was 150 for 2015 entry)

There were three individual elements in the 2016 stage 2 test, weighted as follows:
Maths 40%, English Reading and Writing 30% each.

In a letter to those who were not offered a place, TGS said:

Quote:
6. Will the school remark my daughter's tests if I requested it in writing?
All marking has been rigorous and moderated therefore the school will not remark any tests.

Cut off score on allocation day for 2016 entry: 50.45 (the first year that stage 1 results were only a gateway to the next round, remembering that there are also 30 extra places this year)

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admissions arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:14 pm 

Below, I've gathered some data about TGS appeals.

Here's the timetable: http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... table.aspx

Tiffin Girls' School appeals are handled by the Surrey School Appeals Service:
http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/schools-and- ... on-appeals

Here are the numbers I've been able to find:

For 2015 entry - 1,273 applicants, 11 appeals heard, zero succeeded

For 2014 entry - 1,316 tested for 150 places, 14 appeals heard, zero succeeded.
(the first year of the "designated area")

For 2013 entry - 1,626 applicants tested for 150 places, 21 appeals heard, zero succeeded
(the first year of the two stage entrance test process)

For 2012 entry - 1,471 applicants tested for 120 places, 32 appeals heard, 1 succeeded
* Number of offers after initial offers: 19

For 2011 entry - 1, 199 applicants tested for 120 places, 32 appeals heard, 1 succeeded
* Number of offers after initial offers: 5

For 2010 entry - 1,171 applicants tested for 120 places, 43 appeals heard, 3 succeeded
* Number of offers after initial offers: 13

* = Numbers found online, but not in an official document. Although old, it's unusual to see specifics about how many places were offered after National Allocation Day (mainly / all waiting list?), so I've included the numbers anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:00 pm 

Adding a comment from this forum about TGS waiting list movement for 2014 entry:

"my friend's daughter was 7th in the queue [for 2014 entry] and still is [posted in March 2015], so don't think it moved much"

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:11 pm 

Update:

For 2014 entry - 1,316 tested for 150 places, 14 appeals heard, zero succeeded.

If one of the moderators is willing to edit what I wrote two posts above this and paste the new info into the right part of the chronological list and then delete this post and the 2014 bit I quoted in the second last post, please go ahead. :-)

I've added to the post above and edited out the quote. Tinkers

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:46 pm 

Stroller this is such useful information for hopeful future parents, thank you on their behalf :)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:31 pm 

Stroller, it's such a great idea to put useful info in your signature space - I hope people will take notice! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:17 pm 

PurpleDuck wrote:
Stroller, it's such a great idea to put useful info in your signature space - I hope people will take notice! :)

Me too, for everyone's sake... :D

Winning a TGS appeal is a super-selective process in its own right. Of the 153 appeals in the 6 years from 2010-2015, it seems that just 5 were successful. I don't know how those numbers compare to other schools, but they don't inspire a lot of hope.