Independent vs Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catlady

Re: Independent vs Grammar

Post by Catlady »

Very considered decision, Curiousman. We had a similar situation with our first DS some years ago. He had a half scholarship for Whitgift but also got into the Sutton Grammar schools. It was tempting to go the independent route but we had another DS a few years behind him and had to consider the bigger picture. It helped that he wanted the Grammar school and never looked back. Wishing your DS all the best for a bright and happy future.
KeB

Post by KeB »

hi Catlady

we are in similar situation (scholarship at whitgift and trinity) but a place a wallington. which grammar did you take ? thanks
pooziepuzzle

Post by pooziepuzzle »

Hi KeB, we had the same situation 2 years ago- a scholarship at Whitgift and a place at Wallington . My DS went to WCGS and we are all very happy. Good luck with your decision.
Catlady

Post by Catlady »

Hi Keb
our dilemma was some years ago, we opted for SGS, closest to our home and 1st choice. our youngest DS also at SGS ,year 7 and very happy. All the selective schools are excellent and in my opinion - just down to personal choice and circumstances such as distance
Pinklily10

Post by Pinklily10 »

She skimmed her first choice (Grammar) by a few marks. :o My DD has been offered bursary in an Independent school. Please advise me if I should accept it. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Pinklily10 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Which schools?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Honeybunny16, I think it depends on what your other school options are - has your DD been allocated a place in a school she would be happy with? Would she thrive there? Also, bursaries are usually re-assessed every year, so you have to decide whether you would be likely to continue to be eligible for a 100% bursary for the rest of your DD's schooling and if not, how much fees you would be able to pay in the future.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

PurpleDuck wrote:Honeybunny16, I think it depends on what your other school options are - has your DD been allocated a place in a school she would be happy with? Would she thrive there? Also, bursaries are usually re-assessed every year, so you have to decide whether you would be likely to continue to be eligible for a 100% bursary for the rest of your DD's schooling and if not, how much fees you would be able to pay in the future.

Totally agree that it depends on what your options are and more importantly still, what will suit your child!

I would like to speak about bursaries though. Although they are reviewed yes, not necessarily formally, but yes they are, it would be cruel to change the award without any reason, so I wouldn't turn one down for worry that this year it's 100% and next year it might only be 50%! But if your personal circumstances change financially, then of course they would consider that and that's fair enough.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Yamin151 wrote:I would like to speak about bursaries though. Although they are reviewed yes, not necessarily formally, but yes they are, it would be cruel to change the award without any reason, so I wouldn't turn one down for worry that this year it's 100% and next year it might only be 50%! But if your personal circumstances change financially, then of course they would consider that and that's fair enough.
I wonder whether the degree of formality of bursary reviews depends on a particular school. I recall reading on another forum that for example Trinity and Whitgift in Croydon ask for annual submissions of all financial documentation in order to assess any potential changes in circumstances of their bursary recipients; someone also posted (last year?) that their bursary in one of those schools was cut due to an increased family income. I agree with Yamin, though, that there is not need to worry about the bursary getting reduced for no reason, i.e. if there is no change in the financial circumstances.

You didn't say which particular school you are considering, Honeybunny16, and they all may work differently, but maybe it would be a good idea to get in touch with the school and ask for clarification of bursary rules.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Foucault1974

Post by Foucault1974 »

Hi, my son got in Tiffin and it was his first choice, but we also applied to a number of independent schools and got quite a few offers and he has an offer from his favourite Indie too. I really think being a Tiffin boy is a privilege and a major achievement, at the same time I would like him to feel nurtured as an individual and I'm not sure Tiffin will do that. I don't think his score was very high in the ranking, our local state schools are appalling, so not really an option.He is quite academic but I just want him to have a happy secondary school experience. I would like him to be pushed but not extremely so. I also very much would like to resolve my dilemma so I can free the Tiffin space for somebody else or accept it. Any thoughts? Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now