Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:53 pm 

Please post SG comments here.

Last edited by computer on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:02 pm 

What comments do you have in mind, computer? If you are interested in the results, then those who have passed/been offered a place will not be told.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 am 

In previous years, people who have narrowly missed an offer like to track progress on the waiting lists for individual schools as well as share March 1st successes stories.
It also used to be a way of working out the cut-off scores since those who don't get an offer have a score and waiting list position so it is possible to work out roughly where the axe fell by looking at the scores at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:10 am 

Loopylou, just to clarify, then - does it mean that if someone passed SGS (in which case they don't know their score but just that they passed) and subsequently did not get an offer, they get told at that stage what their score was and what was the lowest score that did get a place?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:42 am 

From previous years, information isn't always available right away and what you get told varies from school to school (computer has set up a thread for each Sutton school so some will have much more information initially than others).

Being told scores and at what stage also depends if you are a successful applicant who decides to go on to the waiting lists of schools either above or even below the one you are initially offered. From about March 16th waiting list positions are known. The position on the list is mostly dependent on score and the cut-off score for each school.
At schools like Nonsuch where scores were given in advance, the threads like this tended to help people guess far in advance of the waiting list where the OOC and IC cut off might fall eg people often post to say they have 321 OOC and did or didn't get offer and then someone with a slightly higher score posts that they did.

I suppose people like to glean as much information as they can at this stage and once the waiting lists get moving, people like to hear how quickly they are moving and try to work out how many offers are being made and / or accepted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:09 pm 

Thanks, Loopylou, that explains things.

I know that Nonsuch has always provided exam scores to everyone, but wasn't aware that similar information was available from boys' schools unless someone missed the cut-off. I have always thought that there were only two scenarios with the boys - they pass and never find out their scores or they fall below the passmark, in which case their score and passmark are disclosed to them. This is why I wasn't sure what information computer was asking people to post, now this thread makes sense. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:19 pm 

My son got Sutton. Our second choice was wallington and third Sutton. How to know what is his waiting list number in wallington. We are more keen on that because of distance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:20 pm 

Sutton Grammar - 1st choice :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:23 pm 

sammyp wrote:
My son got Sutton. Our second choice was wallington and third Sutton. How to know what is his waiting list number in wallington. We are more keen on that because of distance.

You would get letter from Wallington in a day or two. Congrats for the place in SGS.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:34 pm 

tiffinboys wrote:
sammyp wrote:

You would get letter from Wallington in a day or two. Congrats for the place in SGS.

Thanks a lot.