Waiting List

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
confused11

Re: Waiting List

Post by confused11 »

fifi kaan wrote:My DS didn't get Wilson's we got our second choice wallington grammar
DS is feeling upset and disappointed his heart was set on Wilson's
Myself very surprised he didn't get Wilson's given the fact he passed top independent schools some offered scholarship.
Anxiously waiting for Wilson's letter to come through I wonder if they will mention the rank order on the waiting list

Anyone has idea from previous experience if Wilson's would give out the rank order in the waiting list?
Hello,
My son got into Wilson's our second choice. Our first being Tiffins as it would mean we don't have to move. When I called Tiffins, they said they will send a letter out after Easter to let us know about his position in the waiting list. I think that is what Wilson's will be doing as well. so there might be a few movements come April. Good luck!!!!!
phantomguzzler

Post by phantomguzzler »

We got the opposite, offered Tiffin but first choice is Wilsons. Wish we could organise a swap as it purely makes more sense for us to go to our local school.
Beck_mum

Post by Beck_mum »

we've had letters from Wilson's and Sutton grammar asking if we'd like to put our son on the waiting list - one arrived yesterday (Sutton) and one today (Wilson's). Not sure if that helps anyone - he got an offer from his first choice school so it seemed it bit odd.
NiksMum

Post by NiksMum »

Hi Beck_mum - same we got the letters yesterday. I was expecting the Wilsons one as it was our 1st choice but the SGS was a suprise - but thught it was a nice touch by the school to send a formal letter and congratulate DS.
fifi kaan

Post by fifi kaan »

@ confused 11 thank you for the information some hope for me there :wink:
I pray you get your first choice.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

We have also got a letter from Wilson's (our 2nd choice), congratulating on DS's achievement and asking if he would like to go on their waiting list. I agree it is a lovely touch but at the same time I wonder whether these letters might suggest that the schools are concerned they will not fill up all their spaces after everyone has made their decisions, just like it happened with Wallington boys' last year? If this were the case, that could be good news for boys who have not been allocated any grammar places at all and are currently on waiting lists.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
fifi kaan

Post by fifi kaan »

PurpleDuck wrote:We have also got a letter from Wilson's (our 2nd choice), congratulating on DS's achievement and asking if he would like to go on their waiting list. I agree it is a lovely touch but at the same time I wonder whether these letters might suggest that the schools are concerned they will not fill up all their spaces after everyone has made their decisions, just like it happened with Wallington boys' last year? If this were the case, that could be good news for boys who have not been allocated any grammar places at all and are currently on waiting lists.
I got similar letter from Sutton grammar congratulating on my son securing a grammar place, nice of SGS to send letters out and again they mentioned if I would like to b on the waiting list we replied saying no ( SGS was our 4th choice due to distance )

Still waiting for Wilson's letter to come through.
Will accept wallington for now
negs

Post by negs »

How does it work if a school offers someone later on an offer from their reserve/waiting list.

Does it automatically cancel the other school place which someone may have accepted ?
Who has the responsibility of informing the other school if the offer is accepted to make sure someone is not holding multiple offers.

Thanks.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I would imagine the place originally offered and accepted will only get cancelled when the place from a waiting list is accepted. When someone is offered a place from a waiting list, the offering school should advise what action needs to be taken by parents of the child in question with regard to the initially accepted offer.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PurpleDuck wrote:I would imagine the place originally offered and accepted will only get cancelled when the place from a waiting list is accepted. When someone is offered a place from a waiting list, the offering school should advise what action needs to be taken by parents of the child in question with regard to the initially accepted offer.
Check your LA's policy very carefully on this question; some will wait for you to decide whether or not you want to accept the new offer, but others (at least they have in previous years) will withdraw your current place when they pass on to you the new one. The reasoning being that you ranked your preferences for a reason, so if one of your higher preference schools has a place for you now, you would rather have it than the school you have currently.

Even if your LA allows you 'thinking time', if you have now decided that you no longer want one (or any) of your higher ranked schools, it would save delay in someone getting a place who does still want it if you let your LA know your decision now, rather than waiting until an offer is made.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now