New recruits of Wilson's school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Potterfan

New recruits of Wilson's school

Post by Potterfan »

Are the addresses of the new Year 7 circulated among the new Year 7 pupils and parents, or is it just the post code?

Is the Sports induction days, worth going to?

Thank you in advance
NiksMum

Re: New recruits of Wilson's school

Post by NiksMum »

Hi Potterfan

I doubt they will circulate addresses but maybe on the 4th when we the parents go in, we might get more information and opportunity to talk to other parents too ... I too would really like to know as it will help put my mind at ease knowing that there are other local boys from my area who will be going to Wilson's.

Re the Sports Induction - My DS is very keen to go so we've signed him up.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

The school don't get involved with any circulation of addresses. On induction day the boys in each form have a map to look at so they can see if anyone in their form lives nearby.
I would recommend the sports induction particularly if your boys want to be in the football team.
It's a great school,you won't be disappointed.
The boys are expected to work hard right from the start and the homework begins pretty much straight away.
The head of year 7 is very experienced and gets it all running smoothly.
Good luck to your sons.
Try if you can to book an early appointment at Cladish for the uniform. It gets really busy in there and they do run out of popular sizes of kit.
NiksMum

Post by NiksMum »

Thanks Moon unit some helpful tips there. - which year is you DS in? We're booked in with cladish in July - but as you are an experienced parent, do you think that it is essential to buy the full uniform from them? Or can we get some parts of the uniform from other shops? I know that we'll have to get the blazer, sports uniform etc from cladish... but would like to know what other parents do.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My son is in year 9.
We only bought what we had to from Cladish. As school uniforms go it's not too expensive.
They embroider all the PE kit for you and then you pick it up later.
They sell very good quality trousers which are about £20 a pair. We didn't get those because my son was growing so fast.
We didn't get the football boots or trainers there either.
If your son is tall and thin like mine the best trousers are M and S which I get on line. Most shops don't have the slim fitting ones.
The school also have a hardship fund so parents in difficult circumstances can get assistance with uniform costs.
The school are very aware that some parents are struggling.Whilst they ask for a donation as most schools do there is absolutely no pressure and it's made very clear that it's entirely voluntary and only one person in the finance office knows what is donated. None of the teaching staff do.
Parental costs are kept to a minimum. One of the geography field trips is to Croydon!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I used to buy school trousers from M&S, too, until in year 9 DS decided he wanted really skinny ones and the only place I could get a pair that fitted properly was George at Asda! Now he is too tall for both (I wish M&S did school trousers in longer lengths, not just regular). :shock:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
NiksMum

Post by NiksMum »

This is exactly what we were thinking too, we currently buy my sons trousers from M&S and they are a great fit...but wasn't sure if we could do it for Wilson's. I guess i'll have a better idea once we visit cladish and see the uniform.

I know that they will be carrying alot of books etc - do you recommend the school bag from cladish - or is there another sturdy one based on your DS's experience?

Apologies for all the questions - I seem to have too many at the moment.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

The Cladish rucksack is fantastic quality and big. Having said that if they are transporting sports kit they need another bag too.It just won't fit the boots/ trainers.
Almost all the year 7s get them but by the end of the first term lots are using other bags.
We have a really cheap bag from a sports shop with compartments either end for football boots and trainers and it takes the sports kit too.
I wouldn't get the rucksack if your son likes to be trendy!
Cladish initial them so we picked the initials off and now my hubby uses it for work.
The boys aren't allowed to carry their bags around school. You need some tough A4 wallets one for each subject and they carry these to lessons with pencil cases in blazer pockets so don't get a huge pencil case that won't fit.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

I am not sure whether DS knows how to read a map! Do we need to practice locating our road in relationship to the school? Or is it just postcode that DS need to know?

Fantastic tips Moon Unit. Having seen the total price of the uniform, I am wondering do they really need all of that, is it all used?

Really grateful for any more tips.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I think the form tutors helped them with the map.They put stickers roughly where they lived eg Sutton,Croydon. Don't think the post code would help.
They do need all the uniform but you only need really to get the blazer,tie,jumper and PE kit from Cladish. You also need the two different aprons.
I got all the rest of it from supermarkets or m and s.
You might be able to pick up a few bits at the second hand sale which is usually on after the boys induction afternoon.
Compared to other schools the uniform isn't too bad. Cladish say its the cheapest af all the secondary schools they do.
Cladish sell the blazer buttons and I'd buy a few spares as they seem to come off quite easily.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now