Highest Combined Score in Tiffin Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDuck

Re: Highest Combined Score in Tiffin Boys

Post by PurpleDuck »

Kingston mum wrote: IMHO Tiffin should do like the Sutton Grammar Schools where I understand that you are told that you have passed but not the score so everybody starts on a level playing field.
Yes, that's correct - SGS, Wilsons' and Wallington Boys' do not disclose exam scores to those who passed but provide details of test results to those who did not achieve the pass mark.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
pii

Post by pii »

As far as my little brain can remember the head boy of tiffin in 2013-2014 was the one who got entry via waiting list. it is not what marks our kids got to get entry into these highly subscribed schools but what they will come out with on the other end when they finish this school.
a nice gentleman or a nerdy boy :?:
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

pii wrote:a nice gentleman or a nerdy boy
Can't he be both? :lol:
pii

Post by pii »

LOL love it :D :D :D . gentleman and nerd (but without round frame glasses) . No offence to spectacle wearers.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

:lol: :lol:
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

Thank you for your replies..I have been mulling over how I should respond. Because apart from Ladymuck's reply, the responses show that I have naively asked an emotive question! As Nonsuch gives out the marks, I thought it would be alright. My interest only lies in the difficulty of the papers.
Now, your responses has made me wonder why shouldn't a parent know how their child has performed among his/her cohort. The 11 plus is a competition (as said by many tutors).
Parents do not necessarily tell the marks to their DC. And children tend to blank out the 11 plus once the event is over. And move on to more important things, like playing. It is only the parents that like to reflect on the experience.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

pii wrote:As far as my little brain can remember the head boy of tiffin in 2013-2014 was the one who got entry via waiting list. it is not what marks our kids got to get entry into these highly subscribed schools but what they will come out with on the other end when they finish this school.
a nice gentleman or a nerdy boy :?:
Was this the rather good-looking boy who told us he was going to medical school?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

People will have assumed that there is something boastful behind the query. Any all boys school will have more than its fair share of testosterone fuelled competition, and, unfortunately, there are always a few boys who seem to take on the view that they are better than everyone else. Sadly your suggestion that only parents reflect on these scores doesn't bear out with my experience of school playgrounds. In general the boys who boast the most tend to struggle to fit in with their peers and can have a trickier time.

Parents can take the longer view - it is rarely the person who has scored the very top mark who goes on to greater success, but instead each "competition" opens up more opportunity. Any one scoring high enough has got into the school and has the benefit of the education there. There will be similar competitions come university and jobs, and it will rarely be the person with the top academic marks who is most successful in the job market.

As I mentioned in my previous post, standardisation can be a bit misleading. A Sept born boy could score 95% in the English paper and get a standardised score of 140 (usually seen as a "top score") whilst an Aug born boy could get a raw score of 92% and score 146. There may be many different combinations of individual raw scores in the two papers coming together to get the highest overall. So a boy who got the highest joint standardised mark may find himself in only the top 10 or 20 for raw score in each subject. The standardisation produces a nicely ranked list for the purpose of admissions, but its usefulness ends there.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

Thank you for your reply,Ladymuck, very valid points. Apologies if anyone considered me to be boastful. Boastful, I am not. I have never told my DC any of his marks from his mocks.

There's a lot of assumption in the some of the replies to my posts - hence the tone. Interestingly, I could have easily asked how many DS got in with the lowest get in mark. This may I add, doesn't lessen their achievements... there has to be a cut off mark.

Of course, there are many variables which contribute to the achievements of DS in the world of work. But at this point, the entrance exam is the most available quantifiable measure. Our primary school, is phobic about competition to the extent it does not stretch capable children. This may be common to all primary schools. And so, it can be a pleasant surprise to learn that a DC is more academic than imagined. But also, to realize that the carefully chosen primary school has done us a disservice.

But at the end of the day, its whether the child is happy and well-rounded.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now