Travel to Tiffin School from Lower Earley, Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroller

Re: Travel to Tiffin School from Lower Earley, Reading

Post by Stroller »

Googlemaps thinks it's a 42 mile journey, largely in Greater London traffic, taking at least an hour. So you'll have to pay for upwards of 4 hours a day in a private hire vehicle, unless you retain a chauffeur to sit nearby all day. :shock:

Any other school would be preferable...
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Reading Mum wrote:There could be a statement of SEN - that is higher priority than the 14km rule. And they would take beyond 14km if there were still places available after everyone within who qualified had taken a place
Okay, fair point, but it is still a horrendous commute. There is no way I would volunteer to do that as an adult.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

me neither - I moan (a lot) about my once a month to Weybridge
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Presumably eyebrows will be raised at the Tiffin school office. They've pretty much done everything they could in order to prevent something like this (they set their pass rate so that no one outside the 14km area would get an offer). They can't stop someone moving out of the area, but I bet they'll look it it very carefully if it happens before the boy starts.

I can't believe that an EHCP would ever name a school 40 miles away, so I don't think this would be an SEN case.
RajeevRaval

Post by RajeevRaval »

Thank you all for your suggestions, I did try a test journey and it took me exactly one hour, we left at 7:05 and 8:00 we were at School gates so I think it may not be that bad. I will try another few trial runs and see how it goes. I took A329/A322/M3/A308 it is still 33 miles though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surely there's a risk that the place might be withdrawn now if the address is not 'in area'?

I know that would happen in Bucks.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

RajeevRaval wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions, I did try a test journey and it took me exactly one hour, we left at 7:05 and 8:00 we were at School gates so I think it may not be that bad. I will try another few trial runs and see how it goes. I took A329/A322/M3/A308 it is still 33 miles though.
That was a good run - I guarantee that they won't all be like that. I often queue all the way through Bracknell to the M3 and then M3 is a 50 limit due to the roadworks - although it is rarely moving fast enough for that to be an issue.
DS leaving the house at 7am is still going to make for a very long day - I can't imagine him doing homework in the car so that won't start till he is home
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

RajeevRaval wrote:Thank you all for your suggestions, I did try a test journey and it took me exactly one hour, we left at 7:05 and 8:00 we were at School gates so I think it may not be that bad. I will try another few trial runs and see how it goes. I took A329/A322/M3/A308 it is still 33 miles though.
And what about the return journey? Are you going to stay in Kingston all day? Every day?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You were considerably lucky. Consider last week when the M4 was closed and the impact that had.
Elevenplus2017

Post by Elevenplus2017 »

RajeevRaval wrote:Hi,
My son is going to travel from Lower Earley, Reading to Tiffin School from September 2016, Are there any other parents in/around Lower Earley, Reading who would be interested in car share or taxi share.
Thanks
This is clearly a wind up, no one could possibly be this stupid. Don't feed the troll!
If it was true then pass on this number to your child and they will be able to help:
0800 1111
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now