Travel to Tiffin School from Lower Earley, Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RajeevRaval

Travel to Tiffin School from Lower Earley, Reading

Post by RajeevRaval »

Hi,
My son is going to travel from Lower Earley, Reading to Tiffin School from September 2016, Are there any other parents in/around Lower Earley, Reading who would be interested in car share or taxi share.
Thanks
999 mum

Re: Travel to Tiffin School from Lower Earley, Reading

Post by 999 mum »

Please consider moving!

I hated commuting to Reading (from Surbiton) and I only had to do it for a few weeks.
RajeevRaval

Post by RajeevRaval »

Thank you I appreciate your response but sorry due to some unavoidable circumstances this is the only option we have.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

sorry OP but I haven't heard of anyone else attempting that journey, for good reason. I hope it is only temporary as that is a hideous journey.
My nearest work office is Weybridge and it takes me at least an hour and 10 mins to get that far and that is during the day - if I have to be there for 9am I allow an hour and a half at least to do my 30 miles and Weybridge is much closer than Tiffin. I work from home for this reason.
My worst journey home from Weybridge to Reading (to date) is 2 hours 55 mins, with 90 mins in rush hour being the norm.

This is not viable for an 11 year old to do every day for very long.
sandra

Post by sandra »

Slight deviation from the thread topic - but I thought Tiffins boys has a catchment of 14km and Reading definitely isn't within that range? Correct me if my understanding is wrong!

I am also based in Reading, so would like to know realistically (other than Reading Boys) in terms of location, which other schools my DS can get into? We will consider moving for the ease of commuting if he gets into a school far from home.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

RajeevRaval wrote:Thank you I appreciate your response but sorry due to some unavoidable circumstances this is the only option we have.
I think there will have been other options ie schools closer. Obviously it is a bit late to rethink. Hopefully it is short term and you will be planning to move nearer?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Tiffin (boys' school) operates a 14km measured in a straight line priority area.
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... y_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does Lower Earley in Reading fall within that?
RajeevRaval wrote:Thank you I appreciate your response but sorry due to some unavoidable circumstances this is the only option we have.
How could a superselective be "the only option" you have? By definition, most kids who apply to a superselective can't get in. What would you have done in that case?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

sandra wrote:Slight deviation from the thread topic - but I thought Tiffins boys has a catchment of 14km and Reading definitely isn't within that range? Correct me if my understanding is wrong!

I am also based in Reading, so would like to know realistically (other than Reading Boys) in terms of location, which other schools my DS can get into? We will consider moving for the ease of commuting if he gets into a school far from home.
In terms of Berks GS there is the Slough consortium - you might need to move a bit closer to be in catchment but it wouldn't be a big move. Or you could move into Bucks as that is a GS county.
There are various areas with GS with no catchment - Gloucester I think is an example - where you could apply and then move if he got in. It depends how far you are prepared to move.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Stroller wrote:Tiffin (boys' school) operates a 14km measured in a straight line priority area.
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... y_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does Lower Earley in Reading fall within that?
How could a superselective be "the only option" you have? By definition, most kids who apply to a superselective can't get in. What would you have done in that case?
There could be a statement of SEN - that is higher priority than the 14km rule. And they would take beyond 14km if there were still places available after everyone within who qualified had taken a place
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I live in Earley. My in laws live in Kingston. I know the journey.
Either move houses or choose a different school. Seriously.
That journey will be next to impossible. Regardless of car sharing public transport or whatever.

There are several very good schools available to you much closer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now