How common is age-standardisation at 11plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

llam

Re: How common is age-standardisation at 11plus

Post by llam »

Many thanks to all replies and their pace of return, especially Sally-Anne's.

Also for tips on angles of approach; I've covered academic ability and now moving onto shooting holes in the opposing arguments. My point on standardisation is a minor but hopefully another one I can work with.

Rgds.
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

ToadMum wrote:Why 'grammar' (As opposed to without the 'quotes', I mean)? Aren't Sutton / Wallington B&G / Nonsuch and Wilson's all fully academically selective and only Greenshaw a partially selective comp?
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought that they stopped officially being grammar schools when the Tripartite System was abolished and that they're better (but word clumsily) described as fully academically selective state schools - as you point out. I've been thrown before by schools which have the word "Grammar" within their name but are actually independent schools, so try to avoid using to term to avoid confusion. Apologies if my pedantry got the better of me.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

llam wrote:Many thanks to all replies and their pace of return, especially Sally-Anne's.
If you want to do a detailed count, you can look up all the schools by area here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You do need to go right down through each page to check for exceptions.

I believe that Tiffin and a couple of schools in Lincs are possibly the only ones that don't standardise.

Also for tips on angles of approach; I've covered academic ability and now moving onto shooting holes in the opposing arguments. My point on standardisation is a minor but hopefully another one I can work with.
[/quote]
Although everyone is right that the standardisation is a minor point, and August 29th birthday does create the argument that if she had been born only 2 days later, she would have been taking the test a whole year later.
llam

Post by llam »

Sally-Anne,

I will do as you have suggested to see if I can tease any further increase in that percentage.

I'm not one to wish the gods sprinkled better luck on us, we are given what we are given and deal with it. I will never have any regrets our daughter was early and missed intake for the next academic year. She's exceeded our expectations. I believe in fairness but do understand the point of a super-selective not standardising; as they want the absolute best candidates regardless of any variations.

Rgds.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

In my locality Bexley, Kent and Newstead all standardise. In Kent and Bexley you can get the 'raw scores' before they standardise and then see the difference in marks. In the Kent 2015 test for example:

A child aged 10 years 1 month needed the following raw score to get the 106 pass mark in each paper:

Maths 10/25
English 12/24
Reasoning 33/80

A child aged 11 needed

Maths 12/25
English 13/24
Reasoning 35/80

Therefore a difference of 5 questions overall. Good luck with your appeal.
llam

Post by llam »

Thank you Fiona,

Your reply is useful from another angle; it's not simply sufficient to argue 'if standardisation was applied my child would be offered...", since it gives a reasonably clear indication the differential awarded to a younger child is between 8.3 - 9.1 % depending which way you go. From calculations I've derived from other charts, that's quite generous.

That's helpful for me so I'm very grateful to you indeed. Thank you also for your wishes.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You cannot extrapolate from the above example - the adjustment might be nothing in some years if the August born score highly.

Basically, standardisation does not add or subtract marks but compares the raw score to that of the children of the same age.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

When looking at the raw scores for DDs year there was practically no difference between a December born and a July born. It was about 1-2%.
llam

Post by llam »

OK. Is there at least a trend that the older candidates do better? Is the situation you quoted (Guest55) a likely scenario? What I'm looking for is cast iron information that can be taken into appeal and work in my favour. I'm not interested in arguments that can be ripped to pieces. I am all ears.

It's intersting how this has developed as the school in question says that it has conducted calculations (whether that be on previous data or data for the year in question) and found standardisation of no relevance.

Guest55, could you kindly explain the latter part of your sentence;

"
Basically, standardisation does not add or subtract marks but compares the raw score to that of the children of the same age.
"
With all due respect, may I ask your credentials please?
llam

Post by llam »

Tinkers, can I presume that there would be a greater percentage differential from September to August? Perhaps 3-4% (very close to my conclusions, on studying other charts, fall within this range) given that are 3 months either side of December to July?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now