Advice please as to which schools to consider. Newbie

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
skiptomylou

Advice please as to which schools to consider. Newbie

Post by skiptomylou »

I’m a newbie here and hoping for some initial advice please regarding catchments and schools to consider.

1) We live on the Nonsuch Estate in Ewell and so the schools I am considering are; Nonsuch Girls, Wallington School for Girls and Roseberry (we are borderline out of the Roseberry catchment). My question is are there any other schools I should be considering ? Perhaps in the Sutton area.

Also how easy is Tiffin to get into compared to Nonsuch? Is Wallington slightly easier than Nonsuch?

Any advice gratefully received.

thank you
tiffinboys

Re: Advice please as to which schools to consider. Newbie

Post by tiffinboys »

Check if your postcode is included in the TGS admission area.

If so, are 406 or 418 bus routes to Kingston easily accessible?
skiptomylou

Post by skiptomylou »

thank you. Yes postcode there for Tiffin

408 bus route an option although a good 20 minute walk to the bus stop
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Wallington Girls' is the only selective school for girls in Sutton/Croydon area that I am aware of; the other selective state schools are the boys' grammars. There is Sutton High for Girls but it's a private school.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Nonsuch High is also in Sutton borough and may be closer to OP (Ewell).
Castlesinthesky

Post by Castlesinthesky »

In terms of accessibility I would think Nonsuch is closest. Which end of the estate are you? Are you near the Ewell by pass? If so, Tiffins would probably be easier than Wallington? 406 to Kingston then 15 mins walk or another bus. There are a few girls from Stoneleigh/ Ewell at Tiffins. Assuming you are KT17, so in catchment.
Wallington would need to be train and bus or 20 mins walk from station or from Ewell 166 bus and another bus.
Rosebery will depend on distance, Surreycc's website has a distance calculator as well as how far the furthest girl offered a place on March 1st lived from the school. If you look at the results of the more able girls they are getting good results, and maybe as good as Nonsuch. However, last time I looked they didn't break down A*-C passes to single grades.
If you are looking at girls' school Sutton High is nearby but private. There is Carshalton girls or St Philomena's both in Carshalton. CG doesn't get great results and is probably a pain to get to train then a walk. St P's is a catholic school and oversubscribed with good results. Quite close to Carshalton station. There is is also Holy Cross a catholic girls' school in New Malden also oversubscribed.
Rosebery is the only girls' comprehensive in Surrey.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

tiffinboys wrote:Nonsuch High is also in Sutton borough and may be closer to OP (Ewell).
Yes, it most likely is OP's nearest school. I was thinking more about schools going towards Sutton/Croydon area rather than towards Epsom. :)

Nonsuch Estate is a bit confusing - looking at the map of London Boroughs, it belongs to Epsom and Ewell Council, not Sutton, but it has Sutton postal codes (or at least most of it does). Even more confusing is the fact that Nonsuch School is geographically outside of the area of the London Borough of Sutton, but it is listed on Sutton Council's website as one of its schools... Thankfully, that does not matter for the OP. :) (or, perhaps, the on-line map I'm looking at is completely wrong!)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
skiptomylou

Post by skiptomylou »

thank you so much, all those replies are extremely helpful. :D

Our nearest school is indeed Nonsuch (we are close to the top of the Estate near the park) and have a KT17 postcode and stand a good chance of getting in due to location etc 0.5miles??.

I am very interested in Nonsuch but want to cover other options. Does anyone know if Nonsuch is harder to get into in terms of pass rate compared to say Tiffin or CGS?

with thanks in advance.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Which is easier to get into? It's million Pounds question.

If your dd is bright, have covered KS2 syllabus well and is familiar with the type of entrance tests that these schools conduct, then she should have better chances in the schools in your catchment e.g. Nonsuch or even Wallington.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now