Travelling from Staines/ Ashford / Sunbury to TGS??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dip

Travelling from Staines/ Ashford / Sunbury to TGS??

Post by Dip »

Anyone whose dd is travelling from these areas to TGs? Also, i wanted to check that does TGS runs their own school buses from kingston station to school. Please advise. Thanks
tiffinboys

Re: Travelling from Staines/ Ashford / Sunbury to TGS??

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin and TGS do not run coaches. Some private operators do run coaches. Best is to use public transport.

Are you on 216 route? Some Tiffins children would be regularly using this route and your dd would find company.

https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/216/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

A large number of both Tiffin girls and boys walk from Kingston station, some use train from Sunbury area. Others use train either to Richmond (then 65 bus) or change at Twickenham for Kingston. I think you need to buy season ticket for trains, bus can get free travel on the buses.

The buses are very slow in the morning, traffic between Sunbury Cross and Hampton Court can be very slow and can seriously delay buses. Might be ok for return journey as that isn't peak hours. May be faster with 2 buses (changing to another to avoid worst traffic), try looking at picking up a 285 in Feltham or Hanworth, or a 111. There is also the express X26 (but that is only every 30 minutes)

There is a way of checking the actual journey time of a bus, rather than timetabled time, use http://www.lvf.io" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; enter the route number, note a bus registration or fleet number nearest your stop, then look again in 15, 30, 45, 60 minutes etc and see how far it has got. Start looking at 7am based on aiming to arrive at school about 8:15am
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

It's a pretty short and straightforward walk of only about 15 minutes from Kingston Station to TGS. Many girls do walk it, especially on the way home when the traffic (including buses) along the Richmond Road is pretty much stationary. I'd check out the feasibility of catching a fast train from Staines or Ashford to Twickenham then changing there onto the stopping train to Kingston.
Rose79

Post by Rose79 »

Hi looking for DD's travelling from Staines area. Please can you advise if anyone else is looking happy to discuss options.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Rose79 wrote:Hi looking for DD's travelling from Staines area. Please can you advise if anyone else is looking happy to discuss options.
Train to Richmond, then bus? (Assuming that you are somewhere walkable to the station?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rose79

Post by Rose79 »

Yes I would be in a position to drop her to Staines train station however I am looking for someone who will be happy to share a service where DD's can be collected from home picked and dropped by a approved company. Esp first year! Then hopefully public transportation..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now