Sutton Stage 2 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
streathammum

Re: Sutton Stage 2 2016

Post by streathammum »

DS has just come out of the Wilsons second test. He thought the maths was much harder than for Sutton and he didn't finish, so he's not optimistic about getting a pass this time. If it went as badly as he seemed to think he might be right as the second stage tests account for 80% of Wilsons' score.

OTOH, Wilsons was our third choice grammar anyway, and he only needs one school...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If maths paper was hard, then it would be hard for every one else too. More chance of getting place in low scoring tests, than the easier ones with every one scoring relatively high.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

In the normal run of things I'd agree with you, but DS said that he wasted too much time on one question he couldn't figure out and therefore didn't get time to answer other questions that might have been easier. So if there are other boys with better exam technique (quite likely) then he might find he's not made the cut.

At least this is it for the tests now. He's been working for these tests for over a year, with tutoring and extra work at home - we're all delighted that they're over!

Also, he said that in school they've been doing practice SATs tests and they've been very easy - getting close to 100% - so it's good that he can put the knowledge he's gained over the last year to some use in the SATs.
parentoftwo

Post by parentoftwo »

Yes, finally all exams over!
Wilsons maths paper was a little tough. DS had to miss
a couple of questions and they were hard for a 10 year old I feel.

Re Sutton grammar paper - DS too said that no separate working sheet.
And working out was done on the question paper itself.

DS quite happy and relaxed now. I am going to relax too. All parents and DCs can relax for a while now :)
aimfor11plus

Post by aimfor11plus »

Yes, DS said the same too . He found Maths really hard and English being his strong subject , he found it okay .
He doesn't seem to be confident at all. There were couple of questions in Maths which are beyond their Year 5 curriculum.

We still have Tiffins to do .... :(
If selected , another on in Nov . It's not over for us ...

Good luck to all those DCs who have been working hard for a year now.
willgetthere

Post by willgetthere »

exactly the same thing. DS said this was the hardest Maths test he has done and could not finish 3 before time ran out. All exams over and we are quite relaxed now. Count down has started for the results!!
DIYdad

Post by DIYdad »

DS said he finished Math 5 minutes early. Given that everyone else has found it tough and hard to finish on time, I am anxious that he might have skipped a page ... now for the long wait!
11+Expert

Post by 11+Expert »

Just waiting for the results.
However read the posts on this topic today only and thought let me also write, what my DS said to me.

When I went to pick my DS at Wilson (he wrote in AM session), I noted lot of boys happy and stating to their parents that exam was much simpler than Sutton. But my son's expression were different, so I refrained from asking anything until I came back to our car and started driving. He said that the Maths paper was pretty hard and he found it difficult to solve one multipart question.

So, I think the aspect of simple & difficult relative; there are boys / girls who child prodigy and brilliant and for them nothing is hard, but my DS belongs to average category.

If so many boys saying that it was simple, than my DS do not stand a chance, I believe.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

May be your DS understood the questions better than others?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I've posted elsewhere about how difficult it can be to gauge the difficulty of tests just by asking the children :D

My DS was convinced he'd failed the first stage at Sutton. He was devastated when he came out of the exam - far more upset than his schoolfriends who also took the test - but in the end he was the only one in his class to pass. He was also sure he'd done badly in the test at Wandsworth but ended up getting a very good score.

We'll know the actual results very soon now and will be able to make our decisions based on proper information, rather than having to rely on feedback from our DCs!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now