WCGS Vs SGS Vs Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: WCGS Vs SGS Vs Wilsons

Post by mad? »

DD1 took 4 plus EPQ, all offers were on any three of the four, except Cambridge which (should she have been offered :( ) made it clear that as she was taking four any offer would be made on that basis. That said, one of the four was further maths and was 'preferable' (necessary from what I can see) for her subject. But that was then (2015) and this is now, I suspect once this year's 11+ entrants will be at Uni entry stage the world of education will have changed several times, again :( .
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Interesting...was one of his academic subjects an additional Maths? Certainly all the kids I know who offered 4 (not including extra Maths or GS) had offers on 4....maybe that's just bad luck!!
Maths, Biology.. Chemistry and Physics (plus the GS). He was going to drop Physics after AS, but his teacher promised him that the A2 modules were really interesting compared to AS :lol: . And he got all As at AS so there didn't seem to him to be any reason why not. Even with a U in one Physics paper, he still managed all As again at A2, so it did come off 8) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Thank you for your kind words, Mad? :D

It's been a heart-versus-head decision for us. All the practical advantages are with Graveney but there is something about Sutton Grammar that we all really liked.

In the end, we have decided to go with Graveney. It's DS's narrow preference (he also liked SGS), it's mixed (which DS also prefers), it's walkable, it's more culturally varied, his friends will be closer to home, it'll be easier to do extra-curricular stuff and the education he'll get there will be great - they regularly have leavers go to Oxbridge and do law, medicine and engineering at top unis. It's also got a sibling policy, which means that DD will be sorted when her time comes in two years.

So I think we are making the right decision, but it's a wrench :cry: to say goodbye to the idea of Sutton.
mad?

Post by mad? »

streathammum wrote: So I think we are making the right decision, but it's a wrench :cry: to say goodbye to the idea of Sutton.
So do I. But I know how hear it is to say goodbye to an appealing option, particularly when so many others appear dead set on it. Don't look back, make the most of Graveney and come back and tell us all how it went. Good luck!
mad?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

All the best, I am sure you made the right decision for your child. No one knows him better than you.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

A bit of a correction to my earlier statement that Wilson's does 4 A Levels. All boys start off doing 4 A levels but after a year they can drop to 3 A levels. They also sit AS levels, primarily now as a guide to progress.

If you are in the lucky enough situation to choose between schools, then funnily enough some of the key differences may be higher up the school which you may not think about when choosing in year 6.

I may be wrong but it may be that funds though tight at all grammars may be slightly better at Wilson's as it does cost to fund 4 A Levels and to support the now optional AS levels (or perhaps they are depleting funds by doing this!)
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

panicattack wrote:A bit of a correction to my earlier statement that Wilson's does 4 A Levels. All boys start off doing 4 A levels but after a year they can drop to 3 A levels. They also sit AS levels, primarily now as a guide to progress.

If you are in the lucky enough situation to choose between schools, then funnily enough some of the key differences may be higher up the school which you may not think about when choosing in year 6.

I may be wrong but it may be that funds though tight at all grammars may be slightly better at Wilson's as it does cost to fund 4 A Levels and to support the now optional AS levels (or perhaps they are depleting funds by doing this!)
This may change now as all those schools will need to make cuts, and Wilson's already been asking parents to contribute on a voluntary basis before that happened.
11plusplus

Post by 11plusplus »

SGS are heavily into STEM - not sure about Wilsons and Wally boys

http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/ ... and-Events" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/krtin-ni ... oscientist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11plusplus

Post by 11plusplus »

http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/ ... Url=/Staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After news of his cancer research was featured in the media, Krtin has had the privilege of being featured in the Guardian's Teen Power List and was named the UK’s Rising Star in Science 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... hiyanandam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11plusplus

Post by 11plusplus »

WCGS Y7 subject details
http://fluencycontent-schoolwebsite.net ... -17-NL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WCGS Y8 subject details
http://fluencycontent-schoolwebsite.net ... -17-NL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;