Tiffins OR Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
new malden mum

Tiffins OR Wilsons

Post by new malden mum »

Hi
The good news is my son has passed all the Sutton exams and the first round of Tiffin.
We are now in the dilemma what to put first in the school choice list.We are torn between Wilson and Tiffin.
My son is not very sports friendly.
We live in New Malden.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffins OR Wilsons

Post by tiffinboys »

What you are looking for in the schools?

Travel wise, Tiffin is the easiest to reach, Wilson's most far away. At least SGS, is convenient by X26 or even 213.
new malden mum

Post by new malden mum »

Thanks for your reply tiffinboys.
What i would really like to know is a bit more detailed information( maybe from parents who have boys already in these 2 schools) and whether it is possible to travel(on public transport) to Wilson from New Malden for the next 5-7 years.

Another thing I would like to know is there any private transport facilities from New Malden to Wilson.

Any help will be really appreciated.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Public transport is so much more flexible than a one journey each way private service. And free for the small cost of the Zip Oyster Card, if your DS user the bus. Train from New Malden to Kingston would also be quick if you are anywhere near the station at your end?

Much easier if he wants to throw himself fully into the school's extracurricular offer, finish off some school work in the library or just hang around having a chat with his friends at the end of the day. Even a bus which only runs every half an hour is more useful than one which leaves at a quarter to four and that's your lot. Not to mention fostering independence :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Both are excellent schools. Obviously, Tiffin is lot easier to travel from which ever part of New Malden, your DS would be travelling. Train (not free) and buses X26, 213, 131 or 57 (free).

But if Wilson's offers something (please elaborate) which Tiffin does not, then you have a much longer commute via 2 or 3 bus changes and as well, train/tram/bus or walk option via Wimbledon and Bedington Lane tram stop, then bus or walk to Wilson's. Some children may be walking from Waddon train station or changing tram in Croydon.

In short, choose Wilson's, if it offers something really really extra, must have sort.
westwimbledonmama

Post by westwimbledonmama »

new malden mum wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:15 pm Hi
The good news is my son has passed all the Sutton exams and the first round of Tiffin.
We are now in the dilemma what to put first in the school choice list.We are torn between Wilson and Tiffin.
My son is not very sports friendly.
We live in New Malden.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hi New Malden Mum, I know your list is quite old now but whilst we await the Sutton stage 2 results and tiffin stage 1 results next week, I am having the same thoughts of what we should decide for our CAF form. DS, DH and I all love Wilsons the most (DS is an avid footballer) but Tiffin would be one straightforward bus journey whereas Wilsons would be 2 buses or 2 trains and take him 45 mins approx.
What did you decide? I’d be really grateful for any insight should we be presented with the same dilemma next week… (Here’s hoping)!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looks like newmaldenmum hasn't been active on the forum for many years, you could try sending a private message and she may get an email notification that there is a message waiting
westwimbledonmama

Post by westwimbledonmama »

Thanks hermanmunster I’ll try that! A potentially tricky decision ahead, follow head or heart!! (Heart Wilsons, head Tiffin!)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

very tricky decision - personally always go with head (especially if that means shorter travelling time)

I had 2 buses, one hour + to school - hated the journey home especially in the winter. My DC went to schools I could see from the kitchen window.
bridge

Post by bridge »

We had this decision 3 years ago. We live in New Malden and went with Tiffin. My son can literally wake up at 8am and be in school on time - something he does occasionally. We know people who chose Wilson and the journey is a complete nightmare. Always go with the simple journey where these schools are concerned - overall there just isn't enough to separate them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now