Gobsmacked-Wilsons results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
surreymum

Gobsmacked-Wilsons results

Post by surreymum »

So shocked to get Wilsons results today. Did anyone know they were coming out and does anyone know why they released them early?
FedUpDad

Post by FedUpDad »

Yes, I was surprised as well. Unfortunately my son did not pass. Surprised there as well, as he thought he did well coming out from the exam. Didn't say much else in the letter, would have liked to have known which areas he didn't do so well, or even how much he missed out by.
surreymother2

Post by surreymother2 »

yes was completely shocked too!

my son passed, with 'a score 'equal to or greater than 90,'
and it says that "in recent years all boys who achieved a score greater than 90 have been offered places, or have been successful at other schools which their parents had preferred" on the common application form.

is that a roundabout, not quite definite way of saying that he's got a place, if we put Wilson's first?
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I guess so. The bottom line is they can't say because they don't know how people will have put their preferences, but historically everyone with those scores would have got a place somewhere selective. Our first choice is Sutton which of course is the one we don't know about.

I find the timing of the Wilsons results so strange-you still don't know if you've got a place and it doesn't help you choose your schools. Great news if you passed, but pretty tough for the kids who got home from school to find out they'd failed and still didn't know where they would be going.

I suspect the whole process next year in Sutton will be quite different as can't believe they will have this whole thing drawn out between September and January like this year. I believe it has been much tougher on the boys than when my eldest sat it 3 years ago.

Oh well-how many days to go now........
surreymother2

Post by surreymother2 »

I completely agree Surreymum- it's been dragging on for so long. and there's no uniformity. Hopefully they will reform the process.
LBC

Post by LBC »

Have also been surprised by the notification!

For the record my son got a score above 90 score, although he (we!) prefer Wallington and have it top of the list (Sutton is his 3rd choice).

It is of course welcome to get an early positive notification, it has certainly now taken the edge off waiting for the post in March.
I feel for others who have boys who have not been so fortunate (friends of my son have missed out) and I agree with the comments that the process could certainly do with being refined to be shorter and more transparent – to avoid this collective breath holding.

I have this process to go through 3 more times should my other children show an academic leaning and having suffered daily bouts of anxiety (while my son exhibited an uncanny calmness/nonchalance!) since the CAF went in am not keen to do the same again…

…though of course we all would (for our children!!)
ITBarbie

Wilsons

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi

Alas my son did not make the grade for Wilsons. I did call them however as the fee paying schools are putting pressure on parents to sign on the dotted line and I dont know about Sutton Grammar yet. They did tell me how my son performed in the test and what areas were better than others but of course they cannot tell you the score received. If you are getting pressured from the fee paying school you should write to the head of Sutton and explain your resons for a "yes or no"

I think mine will fail Sutton as well but good luck everybody :D
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi IT Barbie

Does that mean you have been able to get an answer out of Sutton one way or the other?

Don't really want to hassle the admissions registrar as she must get so many people ringing her and our independent back up results only come out week before Sutton and we shouldn't have to reply till after grammar school results out anyway.
ITBarbie

Sutton

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi

No I do not have a reply from Sutton one way or the other as they will not give out that information. Wilson's will only say yes or no and give an indication as to where your child went off the beaten track but they will not give pass marks. Sutton will give nothing but it was suggested at Wilson's that it may be worth writing to the head of Sutton to explain about pressure from fee paying schools and if they are prepared to say yes or no.

Hope that helps
geling

Post by geling »

the reason why Wilson send out the result on that particular day is because on that day the Witchhgift , the private school which sits next to Wilson, hold interview!!! So, it is a nice thing for the parents who applied both.