Voluntary contributions to Tiffins

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
missy

Post by missy »

I do think generally think the state schools overall especially in London are suffering a brain drain but my personal view is that because Tiffins has a reputation to defend will push the kids more so than other state schools and high parental involvement with their sons education will encourage greater results. This school is listed as outstanding it must stand for something.
Boy and Girl at Tiffin

Post by Boy and Girl at Tiffin »

I see little evidence of "high" parental involvement.
I'm on the touchline every saturday come rain or shine and there are very few parents.

The parents from the independant schools always outnumber the Tiffin parents.
Maybe if the Tiffin parents had more monetary input they would be more inclined to support the school.

However, there are not the discipline problems as in other schools and the grammar ability pulls everyone along anyway.

I would say the boys ability has a greater effect on outcome compared to most of the teachers input unfortunately.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Maybe if the Tiffin parents had more monetary input they would be more inclined to support the school.
Unfortunately not all grammar school parents can afford to pay extra contributions-having bright children doesn't mean you have a large bank balance(I wish it did!!) :wink:
Boy and Girl at Tiffin

I understand that.

However, I don't believe that's the case at Tiffin.

I just don't think that the extra-curricular side of the school is an important part to an incresing number of Tiffin parents.

What will happen is that it will become an educational sausage factory, the committed staff who participate, fewer and fewer each year, will leave and you will be left with a less than motivated staff and the the school will lose it's reputation.

Tiffin Old Boys Association is almost non-existant.

I chose Tiffin because of it's rounded approach to education, an almost "independant" ethos.

It is quickly disappearing in a culture of exam results and an increasing number of parents who want their children to be doctors!
missy

Post by missy »

At the end of the day its always the number crunching results that matter,not how well you play rugby or cricket.However I do think its brilliant that there is a great emphasis on the extra curricular activities .All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. School days should be remembered with great fondness and memories.
Maybe parents should contribute to individual clubs and sports memberships outside school hours especially weekends .My son currently pays a small amount for afterschool football as coaches come from outside - Just an idea
By the way nothing wrong with producing doctors or Oxbridge candidates
Boy and Girl at Tiffin

I think you're missing the point Missy.

My son says, anecdotally of course, that the best teachers he has had in the 5 years he's been at Tiffin are the ones that get involved in the extra-curricular.
The teachers that don't get involved he just doesn't rate.

My point is that the great teachers are the ones that coach cricket/rugby so if these teachers leave, and they are leaving, the teachers left behind just aren't as good.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

That seems to be happening at Tiffin.

Pay your contributions otherwise the standards will continue to drop at whatever school your children go to.
missy

Post by missy »

I will pay what i can afford and if thats not good enough so be it .There are also other state schools who produce excellant results but do not come with with such high contributions.If you can afford it great- do so!

By the way are there many overseas trips in the Year Seven?How much homework do the boys generally get in the first year. Do the boys manage to fit it all in with all the extra activities?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

This post makes very interesting reading.
At first I though the huge amount required had to be a typing error but after reading my way through, no, it's seems quite correct. :shock:

All schools in my area ask for a voluntary contribution and it is exactly that - VOLUNTARY - it cannot be enforced. When parents are asked for a more reasonable figure, most parents will dip into their pockets as they do realise that the extra money will go directly to their children's education/activities.

However, hundreds of pounds is extortionate! No-one should be paying this. I woud be interested to know if this is publicised well enough when the parents are shown around the school. If it isn't then the school cannot expect anyone to pay. If it is then the school is selecting children by the back door ie those who can afford to pay. Isn't this a state school? :roll:

I was brought up with the saying 'cut you cloth according to your means'.
And so should schools.
It sounds to me like the school needs to be in control of it's budgets.
I would be most concerned about this school and would advise never ever to pay this sort of figure. Do you ever see any accounts? What figure will be plucked out of the air for the next bunch of parents?

If enough parents refuse to pay this ridiculous sum then it will be sorted. In the meantime the parents that are paying, however well meaning, are exacerbating the problem.
Boy and Girl at Tiffin

It is a lot of money.

At a TPA meeting held last year, someone asked how many parents actually contributed.

The reply was about 50-60%

Hence the increase.

I now understand the school is not replacing the teachers who leave because they can't afford to.

So don't pay and class sizes go up and all the "extra" go down.

Homework has been replaced by "independant study"...i.e. they get less homework and most of it goes unmarked.

So cut your clothe but be aare of what will happen.
Boy and Girl at Tiffin

sorry

cut your "cloth"
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now