Voluntary contributions to Tiffins

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
oesmugso

Voluntary (?) Contributions

Post by oesmugso »

B&G@T - Whilst your posts have definitely piddled on my parade, I hope you continue to give what must be a frank and enlightening view of ‘what really goes on’. In that respect you are to be applauded.

I am trying to understand the issues here. The right sort of answers may get me to reach into my not-so-deep sealed pockets. I was only alerted to this yesterday so I have much to learn. My son will start there this September, but I do not see him being good enough to represent the school at soccer or rugby. He’s probably only played cricket with me in the back garden – didn’t seem much kop at that either. He does not understand Rugby football and neither do I. He definitely enjoys playing football with boys of similar ability or even better but he doesn’t get the chance to do it. He is not a bad cross country runner and pretty good at chess. He currently attends a school where I saw for the first time in my life a ‘non-competitive sports day’ and end of term reports are based only on effort – make of that what you will. As an aside first of all, I should be grateful if you would tell me what opportunities there may be for him..

Getting back on track, my view would be that if he were to participate in such activities, then I would consider a contribution and if not then a resounding no. I’m being totally honest here and at the same time, my wife may yet overrule me.

Are you saying that non-participants’ parents should also contribute the stipulated sum and should also attend the various games? And what if in certain circumstances some parents would really not be able to afford this sum, whereas it may be just loose change to others? I also note the vague assertion that there is a correlation between the ‘good’ teachers and those that would take part in these activities. Whilst I saw something similar in my early school days in my country of origin, I saw no evidence of that in my grammar school days in Battersea; but it was such a looong time ago. Is it perhaps coincidental and a relationship does not exist?

My thinking was that yes eventually the private schools will nab the best teachers as other schools cannot compete financially, but schools with pupils who are keen to learn will also attract better than average teachers and also that Tiffin may aid their CV building process.

I look forward to your replies.
Boy and Girl at Tiffin

Post by Boy and Girl at Tiffin »

all boys in Yr 7 do rugby in the winter term......no exceptions.

They do cricket in the summer and/or athletics.

I don't understand the rugby and neither did my son when he started.
I do enjoy it now but I still don't "get" it.
The teachers referee the games on saturdays.
The senior prefects/head boy seem to be rugby/cricket/rowing/music participants.

if youdon't get involved you don't get responsibilities.
it seems that if the boys participate, the get "promotion"
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Another point, if it is the PA that is asking for the money, the request should state that's it to 'enhance the children's education/facilities' or words to that effect.
It's for schools trips (keeping the costs down), theatre groups to come into school, stickers in primaries schools, extra play equipment for wet play in primaries etc. Anything that is extra.

It cannot be used for basic needs eg, a teacher of maths (I'm not saying this is the case, it's just an example). These costs are basic needs and must be budgeted accordingly.

If just 50-60% are paying then there clearly is already a problem. When the bill is increased next time to say £700 will only 75% or parents pay it? This really needs addressing now.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I really must go back to school, :oops: , what I meant to say was will only 25 % pay it.
oesmugso

Post by oesmugso »

B&G@T thank you for a very speedy reply. I have also quickly read Tracy’s very interesting posts and your replies. I can see this discussion hotting up quite nicely. So it’s time to withdraw, absorb and contemplate.

I hope to pose more questions as well as offer my farthing’s worth. Things are definitely beginning to look gloomier than I had anticipated. I had thought that the days of sending my kids to school and still having to teach at home would be a thing of the past. Oh well, my past experience in giving tuition at Maths, Physics and Chemistry to my school friends will come in handy – but I should add that the reasons were invariably that those guys messed about instead of studying and later realised that they needed to get their O-levels.

If all pupils are coerced into activities and most parents contribute then I do not see why I should be an exception, but for now would still defer a decision.

Finally no mention of a Chess club ? I thought there would be.
melinda

Post by melinda »

I can't get my head round the amount of money they must be taking in each year for extra curricular activities. I mean if only half the parents paid they are still taking in approx £31,200 just in year 7?? :!:

Is this right?? I am guessing the intake is 120 or so in year 7.
oesmugso

Post by oesmugso »

Does anybody know whether I can obtain copies of the Accounts for the last 3 years (say) for these activities. Having been an Accountant in one my previous lives I hope to learn a lot from these. Perhaps the school?

Yes, I do now remember from audits of certain charity/church organisation, cases where mountains of monies were simply sitting in reserves and getting bigger year after year with the main costs being simply those of administration.
Boy and Girl at Tiffin

Post by Boy and Girl at Tiffin »

There is a chess club, and a very good one at that.

They play regular fixtures on a friday night but the teacher who used to run it, and drive the mini-bus, left and now they are struggling to get a replacement.

Quite a few fixtures have been cancelled.

The ethos seems to be to "get involved".

...but the number of boys getting involved has decreased which is a shame.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Oesmugso, I'm not involved with this school so it's difficult for me to say who is running this scheme.
Firstly, I would approach the school directly for the accounts.
Secondly, if it is a PTA/charity contact the PTA then NCPTA and the Charities Commission. As parents you are entitled to view the accounts.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

That explains the difference in the requests from the boys and girls school. My friend's son has just started in Year 7 and I am amzed at the amount of sporting activities he and his mum are involved in, I don't know when he has time to do anything else when you throw homework in aswell, but he seems to be thriving.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now