whitgift school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

qpootle5

whitgift school

Post by qpootle5 »

It seems that quite a few boys with offers at great grammar schools are opting for Whitgift instead. Does anyone have any background in this school to explain this? I know it is an independent in Croydon but that's about it.
qpootle5
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Whitgift is one of the three independent schools run by the Whitgift foundation which is very wealthy so it has quite generous bursaries and scholarships available. It has very impressive sports facilities and very high standard of sports tuition. In addition it is very academic and offers the igcse in some subjects (if you think that is a good thing) and a choice between A levels and the IB. It has a very broad curriculum and offers a wider choice of language options and has the smaller class sizes you would expect in an independent. Relatively it's fees are not as high as places like Epsom.

There is travel both ways with many boys turning down scholarships to Whitgift to go to the grammars.

As always it is horses for courses, but if you have a very sporty boy or you want to do japanese/mandarin chinese or even latin (only offered by Wilsons of the sutton grammar schools) it may offer you something the grammars don't-for a price!

Many people sit it as a back up to the grammars
qpootle5

whitgift school

Post by qpootle5 »

Thank you for replying surrey mum.
Lots of helpful information.
qpootle5
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

qpootle5 just sent you a pm!
melinda

Post by melinda »

We used Whitigft as a back up plan. I have replied to a topic on Whitgift on Independants in the forum.
Just to say, it is a lovely school, in a lovely setting (there are peacocks in the gardens!!) and the sports hall is second to none.
The bus (which costs roughly £100 a month) collects at 5p.m. to allow for school clubs so it is a long day, though we were told the boys thrive on it. Depends on the type of boy I guess.
In the end we had the choice between Whitgift and grammar and went for the grammar place, mainly financial. I think if a scholarship had been available we would have been more undecided.