Tiffin exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Post by Guest »

And your point is?
maddogphysics

Post by maddogphysics »

I think that's fairly obvious
Karen

Post by Karen »

I would think for any parent considering tutoring that would be very tempting.

hey would at least be as informed as tutors in other areas. I wouldn't be interested though if anything more sinister was intimated though many would. The girl guide in me would need to know my child passed fairly- you need to be able to cope if and when you get in!

Karen
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

Having already been drawn into a dodgy Walsh discussion I would intitially be a bit cautious about some of the postings to this thread.

It is understood, that for verbal reasoning, Tiffin use the NFER standard 21 question types which are the same for Bucks, Wirral and other LEAs.

For some reason there is a mysticism surrounding Tiffin, secrecy, plot, innuendo, etc.

No one appears to believe anyone!!!

So, why believe me??

Regards

Mike
maddogphysics

Post by maddogphysics »

You mis-understand..or maybe I wasn't clear.

My two children were both tutored by a teacher at one of the tiffin schools.

It was quite expensive but we knew they would cope at the school since their teachers at primary school were very positive.

It was worth every penny. There was no cheating involved.
The teacher assessed my children before with an interview.....she also assessed us as well which we didn't expect.
Karen

Post by Karen »

I agree with Mike,

Why is Tiffin so different, you take one vr paper and one nvr paper you haven't got to worry about maths, english comprehension or an essay like you do in the neighbouring borough of Sutton. I think there is a lot of rumour mongering that goes on.

Patricia has a lot of good advice as does Mike now it has been established that the VR element mirrors bucks/wirral.

I know of several children who have got in to Tiffin girls and boys who have failed at Sutton Grammar and Nonsuch so they can't be any more competitive.

Don't listen to school gate gossip!

Karen
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

I agreed with Karen. Those tests between Tiffin and Sutton Schools are so different. I prefer the Sutton's tests as the tests are covering all the areas (Maths. Eng & VR) to check the ability of the children. But my son loves the Tiffin tests better as he does not have to do essay writing. (even 20 mins in the test! Typical Boys!) He sat the test yesterday in Tiffin and his number is over 1000. I presume they must have over 1000 boys attended yesterday. The VR is easier than the NVR according to him and he did miss few questions in NVR. It has a lot of difficult words in VR. He has done all the tests now. We just have to wait and we cannot do anymore. I did put down Glyn as one of our preference. We did not go to the test as we were told by the school that we do not have to do it because of the distance from our house to the school. I hope we did not miss out much! Glyn is not too bad, they do have boys go to oxbridge last year!
YoYo
Tiffin Tutor

Tiffin Exam 2006

Post by Tiffin Tutor »

I have been a tutor for Tiffin and Sutton grammar schools for 10 years. The NVR section for Tiffin has remained much the same since the exam became multiple choice. The papers (80 questions) are broken into 4 sections of 20 questions each and rotate between 6 types - Analogic Relationship, Isomorphic Relationship, codes, series, Odd one Out and Matrices. On Tuesday, the exam consisted of codes, matrices, odd one out and analogic relationships. There was no maths of any kind on either paper.

One lovely question reported back to me was "design" plus "ate" equals "designate", and "me" plus "shed" equals "meshed". I have had feed back from many of my students who reported that there were no "surprises" for them which, from a professional point of view, was encouraging. Also, in the last 3 years, it has generally been agreed that the non-verbal exam has been significantly harder than the verbal. I hope this is useful.
rcww

Post by rcww »

Yoyo

I think there were about 1100 boys attended the exam at Tiffin as my son was no 1073 and we are in the Ws. My son also said that there were hard words in the VR paper. Does Tiffin publish what percentage of boys got what type of marks?

Next year is going to be a different format I hard, they are going to include an englsih paper too!
Louise

Post by Louise »

To Tiffin Tutor

My daughter sat the exam on Tuesday and you are right when you say there were no surprises, it was as she expected. Although she thought the VR was much harder than the NVR. She finished the VR paper with about 20 minutes to spare which I was surprised at but I think that was because there were no code questions or number questions which take longer to work out (shame really because the codes she was very good at.) We'll wait and see what happens on 1st March. Whatever the outcome I am extremely proud of her for being focused enough to get this far.