Essay for Sutton Grammar and Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JASMINE

Essay for Sutton Grammar and Wilsons

Post by JASMINE »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how well the essay should be written for Sutton G. I know its not a essay as such but does it have to be sophiscated and more detailed than what a typical 10 year old would write.

What worries me is that I have seen some examples on the net of essay's that have been written for the 11 plus exam and they are excellent and I don't know whether they are the standard that the examiners are looking for or they are well above standard. I can only say that my son doesn't write like that at all.

Please help and what should I be doing?

P.S The essays are useful guides to the 11 plus and come under the index as you first enter the site. I would really appreciate advice if anyone could.
JM

Post by JM »

Could you point me to the link on the Web where you can find example 11+ essays? My sone also struggles with essay writing.
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

I can not speak for what they expect and can only imagine they will expect what a 10 year old can write.

The basics of writing are good beginning, middle and end. Sentence structures that makes sense, punctuations, organisation (paragraphs), interesting vocabularies, connectives, range of oepning sentences, style, and descriptions, etc

Thought this might be useful.

Has anyone used the new Bond guide to writing? Would really like to know how useful it is.

Thanks.
melinda

Post by melinda »

I am sure that what is expected is just as above.

For interest my son sat the sutton test last year and his essays to that point had been very hit and miss, very much dependant on the subject matter of the question - ie if it was what he was interested in.
I know his tutor emphasised paragraphs and good punctuation and making sure it was legible! (something my son has trouble with at times!!)

How much emphasis is put on the essay part of the test maybe someone else can answer??
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Heard Sutton Grammar is quite particular about essay writing, so its good to get the boys aware of these things.

My son's school call it VCOP standing for Interesting Vocabularies, connectives, Openers, Paragraphs and Punctuations.

The children have to read through their work and find examples they have used. I will try to post a pyramid I found useful as a reference.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hope this helps. Hope you don't mind me butting in.
Basically, the aim of VCOP (and this is the punctuation bit) is to help children to understand what they can do to improve (uplevel) their writing. It gives children the tools to progress from writing a level 4 piece of work to a level 5, for example.
So, on this pyramid a child can clearly see what sort of punctuation they would need to (correctly) use in order to be wrting at level 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
The further down this pyramid, the higher the level - so level 5 is at the bottom.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Apparently I can post these as long as i give Sparklebox credit for them. So, there you are!
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Spot on! In relation to National Curriculum, very effective. But how would you rate it in relation to 11+?

It is still a major reference point and useful tool.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think it depends upon the region in which you live. When my son did the 11+ last year it was of he only did VR, but learning to choose 'WOW' words, as we call them at my school, (more interesting vocabulary) was useful!
VCOP is particularly useful for any child having to write an essay - so it's good for school entrance exams.
Obviously, VCOP is something I teach at my school and it definitely improves writing - children know how to uplevel their work - this is particularly useful for those children (often boys) who appreciate knowing exactly how to improve. It is more of an exact science really, less mysterious!
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

I do agree especially as you say because of the exact us ecan grab you definite marks.

My son wants Sutton Grammar, he loves reading to bits and is working hard to develop his writng to match it.
Thanks for the colourful one. The one I had is black and white.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now