2008 tiffin boys exam - Q for Patricia or Mike

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
naz

2008 tiffin boys exam - Q for Patricia or Mike

Post by naz »

Hi,

I have been reading all the many posts here and I have one question I can't find the answer to. My question is this.

On some other area boards Patricia and others have recommended to use the answer sheet to find the answers to IPS type E and a couple of others. I looked at the IPS answer sheet and can't see how it helps? Can someone explain.

Also is this rule applicable to tiffin tests? Do the answer sheets look like they do for the IPS test papers? Or are they different.

many thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Naz

Type E [as identified by IPS]

The child needs to find a hidden 4 letter word. This word can be found between 2 words [sometimes 3] Therefore will generally be:

3 letters from the end of one word and 1 letter from the start of the next word

2 letters from the end and 2 letters from the start

1 letter from the end and 3 letters from the start.

The question booklet would give a sentence eg

You are allowed to make notes on the paper.

The child can find the answer by looking at the answer sheet as it very kindly groups the words into pairs. It will save time as going backwards and forwards from question booklet to answer sheet takes up precious time. The child will know a different type of question is coming up because an example of the next type is shown.

You are
are allowed [REAL]
to make
notes on
the paper

Yes Tiffin use Nfer [now GL Assessment] multiple choice, so this method can be used.

IPS answers sheets are not exactly the same in layout/format but closer enough to be able to use them for answering certain questions directly from the answer sheet.

Patricia
naz

Post by naz »

Thank you very much Patricia for laying out the example for me. My son did the IPS standard papers so we never noticed this till I saw it on the forum. hE HAS GOT PRETTY USED TO DOING IT THIS WAY, SO IS THERE ANY POINT IN ME SWITCHING HIM SO LATE IN THE DAY ?

Also he recently set the sutton test and although set by NFER you couldn't do this at all. My son tells me it was like below,

Answer sheet
"mark the following;"

q1 a b c d e
q2 a b c d e

In the VR question sheet type E would therefore read

"You are allowed to make notes on the paper"

choose one of the below;

answer a bent

answer b real (right answer)

answer c deal

etc

and you would thereby mark the answer sheet.

I haven't had any info from Tiffin so not sure which answer sheet they use and whether I can use your tips. Can anyone who sat the test last year advise?