Resignation of Tiffin Boys' Headteacher

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

lewarcher wrote:The gossip at the school is that Sean Heslop fell out with the governors over a plan to develop an educational partnership with Chessington Community College.
That sounds pretty credible and personally I find that a shame. I believe outreach to help other schools (and if you look at the league tables some schools could do with the help) is an important role for successful schools.

As a local to Tiffins I would strongly support the use of a catchment as well as selection but that's another topic that I doubt the governors would agree on!

Just my, 2c

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

Well its not exactly clear as no-one is offically talking about it.

I suspect the first clear indication of the way the governors intend to position the school will come when they announce the new head-master.

I fear they will appoint some-one who will pour aspic over the way the school currently operates.

This would be tragic for the future of the school.
allegra

Post by allegra »

Does that mean you don't like the way Tiffin currently operates? If so (and sorry if I've misunderstood you) what is it you don't like? Would love to hear your views as I'm still trying to find out more about the school.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I really appreciate this thread. Its bringing up issues i have niggling at the back of my mind.

Thanks Allergra and all.
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

What can I say?

Tiffin currently is like a gated development. You can live in it and feel very safe but you might constantly worry about separation from the rest of the world.

It should also be said that this idea/feeling does nort occur to many parents, children or teachers within the Tiffin community.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Here's the latest news ...

Tiffin School : TIFFIN INTERIM HEADSHIP ARRANGEMENTS
Dear Parents

As I promised before Christmas, I want to update you on our plans for cover when the Head, Sean Heslop, leaves at the end of this term. Thanks to strong co-operation between the two Tiffin Schools, and support from the Royal Borough of Kingston, we have agreed with the governors of Tiffin Girls' School that Pauline Cox, the head teacher, will take an interim Executive Head position over both Schools until Tiffin can recruit a new head teacher. A small team from the existing Senior Leadership Team at Tiffin Boys will manage the day to day running of the School, reporting to Pauline who will spend part of each day here.

The governors are confident that this arrangement will provide strong interim leadership in the best interests of the school and the students. Details are being finalised and more information will follow soon. Meanwhile we are moving ahead with the recruitment of a new Head and will be advertising in the Times Educational Supplement from January 30th. Our aim is to have someone in place by September 2009, assuming that the right candidate can be found in time.

You may know that the school had been considering the introduction of Vertical Tutoring this September. However in view of the change of Head, the governors have decided to delay any implementation until September 2010. This would be a major change for the school and it’s clearly important for it to be fully planned and discussed if it is to be put in place successfully.

Yours sincerely

Stuart Lester
Chair of Governors - Tiffin School
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks for this, Susan - it's so helpful.

Can you please shed some light on what "vertical tutoring" is?
allegra

Post by allegra »

Vertical grouping would mean the tutor groups (not classes / teaching groups) would include about 3 boys from each year group, rather than the current, and more normal, horizontal grouping where they are grouped only with boys in their own year. Tutor groups are just for registration and pastoral care so I can't see that it matters much how they are grouped, but the boys were opposed to vertical tutoring because they feared being separated from their friends.
allegra

Post by allegra »

forgot to add - it's great news about the temporary head. Mrs Cox has an amazing reputation!
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

The Cox thing is a holding measure it will keep things chugging along and keep the diehards happy.

Heslop made three significant reforms:

1) a new timetable (earlier starts)
2) a revised choice of GCSEs (a 3rd science became an option)
3) a reduced amount of homework (quality not quantity)

It was quite easy to disagree with any or all of these.

What he did do was create a vision of the school moving forward, modernising and eventually becoming more relevant and desirable for a wider range of potential applicants.

I think he recognised the sad fact that the more of an anachronism the school becomes the less secure its future will be. As parents dippping into the school for 7 years this may not seem to be the issue but as a Head intending to stay for 25 years it has to be a primary concern.

This is why I wonder what the governors will now do.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now