Resignation of Tiffin Boys' Headteacher

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

allegra

Resignation of Tiffin Boys' Headteacher

Post by allegra »

I've started a new thread on this subject because the previous one seems to have been locked thanks to a couple of people whose posts provoked the moderator's intervention ( the same people, I believe, who did this to another Tiffin thread).

I'm keen to hear more from people who may know what is going on. It all seems a bit strange to me that a headteacher should leave after so few years, so if anyone can shed any light on the situation at Tiffin, and any new appointment, I for one would be very grateful.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi allegra

You are right to re-start this thread, because it will be so very important to many prospective Tiffin parents.

I hope that this thread can continue without the Mods getting involved.

Best wishes

Sally-Anne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The folkestone academy may have made him an offer he couldn;t refuse.

They are very keen to attract the best.
roger1

headteacher leaving

Post by roger1 »

yes he is going

atta
15 December 2008

Dear Parents

I am writing to let you know that I will be leaving Tiffin at Easter 2009 to take up the position of Principal at The Folkestone Academy.

This has been an incredibly difficult decision. Tiffin is not only a fantastic school but also a unique one and I have huge regrets about leaving a school that has provided me with such a great challenge over the last 5 years. Key to this has been the humour and charm of the boys, the superb commitment of the staff and, of course, the wonderful support of the parental community. I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting you all at many occasions and events – on the touchline, at concerts, by the river, at Head’s Question Time – and will miss your engagement with, and interest in, the school.

Folkestone Academy will of course offer a very different challenge – I told the Academy’s trustees that I wanted to take some of the Tiffin ethos and spirit and use it to create the expectations and drive that are such a huge part of Tiffin.

I would also like to assure you that the governors are committed to finding a successor who will continue the school’s drive for improvement. I would like to thank you all for your support and I look forward to reading about the continued progress of Tiffin School in the future.

Yours sincerely

S M Heslop
Headteacher
ched a letter sent to parents
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Folkestone Academy is on the up, it has gone from a sink school to being oversubscribed in just one year. Roger de Haan is keen for the Academy to shine and being privately funded they can pay for the best. I think this is a positive move, Tiffin's loss will be Folkestone's gain
onedown

Post by onedown »

My impression of him, from the last Head's Question Time, is that he is a highly dynamic person, constantly looking for new challenges. He's made a large number of changes at Tiffin, and the results are being seen. I'm sure he's itching to take on something new. I remember wondering after the last HQT what he was going to do next, given that he was committed to staying in the state sector and was already in charge of one of the best state secondaries - just didn't realise it would be quite so soon! My son thinks he's fantastic and is quite upset.
STRESSED OUT

Post by STRESSED OUT »

Hi,

Yes it was a very big surpirse when we received the email about the HeadTeachers Departure!

Worried now with all new changes which he has done in the last year Still getting used the all idea of "NO HOMEWORK" and with a new HeadTeacher hopefully being appointed we will have more changes in the School which i am sure is going to effect the boys and the school.

Worried mum
:?
allegra

Post by allegra »

Thanks Sally-Anne.

Does anyone know anything about the finances at Tiffin Boys - can't help wondering if thie Head's desire to link up with Chessington College might have had something to do with relieving financial pressures on Tiffin??
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

The gossip at the school is that Sean Heslop fell out with the governors over a plan to develop an educational partnership with Chessington Community College. The gossip says that the partnership would have led to parts of the school being rebuilt and and an improved financial position.

It would be interesting to know whether this is true and also whether it also had something to do with the recent change of the chair of governors.
allegra

Post by allegra »

Thanks for that. It sounds good to me. What was the downside then? Presumably there must have been one for the governors to refuse. And is there a new chair of govs? Since when?