tiffin boys' finances

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
allegra

Post by allegra »

hi bewildered - i don't think your comment was addressed to me, but I just want to say that I'm not accusing anyone and I don't agree with everything lewarcher says, but he has provided some first rate information and a lot more than the school has. And if you mean innocent until proven guilty, fair enough. But quite frankly I doubt we will be told the outcome of the auditors' report - that much was, I believe, hinted at by Mr Lester. Soon the school will no doubt ask us for a lot of money, and I think there are still quite a few unanswered questions. At the moment I'm torn between whole-heartedly supporting the school and pulling my son out if I can.
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

Dear WP Moderator

further to your previous intervention I would just like to point out that within this thrad there is a very personal attack on Sean Heslop and Mr James by a poster called Southby that remains entirely unmoderated.

It seems odd to me that I am moderated for a general attack on the Governors whilst directly personal attacks on those least able to defend themselves are seemingly condoned.
mad?

Post by mad? »

allegra wrote:I really don't understand this thought process. How would we feel if this were the system for airline pilots - a few well-meaning volunteers who after a few days' induction take on the task, and then, after the odd near miss and crash, turn on their critics and suggest that perhaps they should have a go if they feel so strongly about it. I know it's not a great analogy, but you get the point. I'd rather my kids' schools were run by accountable professionals. What's wrong with LEAs after all?
Allegra I agree! But in the absence of any airline pilots would you rather no-one vounteered and the plane was just left to crash regardless? I too would much rather my kids schools were run by professionals and I think it is wrong how much of this work as been 'outsourced' to volunteers who, however well meaning, may not have the skills to do the job. By definition in the voluntary aided sector this reliance on governors is even more the case and the LA have less authority. I am thankful that my experience has been that largely capable and dedicated people have been governors and have done a good job. I appreciate that this is not always the case (see my earelir post) and I do feel for the Tiffin parents. Particularly when it is from this parent body that the next generation of governors will have to come!
mad?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Allegra

Moderators do understand how angry parents are. You will know that we have allowed previous threads on Tiffin School - which got out of hand - to be re-started for information and sensible discussion.

This is a moderated forum. I do not doubt we get things wrong sometimes, but moderators' decisions need to be accepted. Anyone unwilling to do this is free to go elsewhere.

lewarcher is being disingenuous when s/he professes not to understand what was wrong in writing "Dear Bewildered Moderator". It contributes absolutely nothing to the debate. Incidentally, we have been asked to indicate "moderator" if that is the capacity in which we are writing. As far as I know, it always appears on a completely separate line or in brackets.

Unless posters are polite, choose their words carefully, and respect moderators' decisions, we may have to lock this thread and we will think long and hard before allowing it to be re-started.

[Moderator]
Etienne
allegra

Post by allegra »

Dear Etienne,
I completely understand and agree, I was just worried that this thread was about to get locked too! I know some of the posters have been maybe less than polite, but sadly, as with all the locked threads, these people turn out to have the best information and parents like me rather rely on them. You can't imagine how shocking all this has been to parents, and boys. The school really isn't telling us much, so please avoid locking the thread unless posters get really out of hand. Or ban those posters.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you, allegra.

[Moderator]
Etienne
Southby

Post by Southby »

I apologise to the Forum if I have caused offence with my previous post.

During the last 4 years it has become increasingly frustrating to watch the machinations of the SLT at Tiffin, whether it be pointless initiatives (Six Thinking Hats, diminishing of homework, adoption of Dual Science to name but a few) or the strangely removed stance of the GB. The audit was reported on last academic year, and a favourable comment issued (“The books are very well keptâ€
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

Southby

Could I ask - you seem to be impling that the GB knew about the deficit.

Was its acceptance of proceeding, without addressing it, because it thought the increase in Voluntary Contribution would raise enogh to offset it? Did the GB like the idea of a big contribution?

It seems to me the only thing that makes sense.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

Gosh there is a lot of important stuff here. I like many am frustrated at attempts being made to stifle debate.

Firstly-the political dogma that Governors are better for a school than an LEA. Well perhaps that might be true if Governors could be relied on to have a certain skill set..but it sounds here as if Buggins Turn amateurs are not only the norm but what we should expect. How did we get to this point in the education system?

Secondly-I personally get very annoyed when state schools boast about being at the top of all the league tables when it is clear they have bought their way there. Are you seriously telling me that parents of inner-city comprehensives are paying in excess of £500 per pupil in "voluntary contributions"? I think not. Children in state schools in this country should be on a level playing field.
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

We got there by continually politicising the education system.

As it happens Kingston gives a very similar amount per pupil to its schools as other neighbouring authorities.

As it also happens its sister school does not ask for a similar sized contribution and is not in a financial crisis.

It is therefore wrong of you to use Tiffin's specific problems to make general points.

Tiffin scores well in exam tables because it has preselected the brightest children. Most of them would have done well at any school.