tiffin boys' finances

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
grists_player

Post by grists_player »

(deleted)
mad?

Post by mad? »

lewarcher wrote:We got there by continually politicising the education system..
Agreed!

Goodness that last post is getting near the mark...but very illuminating again!
mad?
Southby

Post by Southby »

The GB knew about the financial situation at every meeting.
I was not privy to finance committee meetings, so I can't say what was discussed there. Every year the school spent more than it could aquire (grant and contributions/shop, Tiffian etc) and added to the deficit.

I don't know what the plan was. At full GB meetings the situation was described as "desperate" by the Head, although no solution or plan of action beyond increasing contributions and not replacing staff was mentioned.

I can appreciate Heslop's desire to use money to invest in buildings and infrastructure, but it seems that this continued to what is now a hand to mouth existence. The Dempsey Centre was instigated in Dempsey's term however, I'm not sure what material changes (excluding rising maintenance costs) occurred in the last 4 years. A new office for the Head, a DDA passed entrance and some expensive looking glass doors.

The SLT continued to develop and grow, along with its associated increased salaries and whilst seasoned teachers left, not to be replaced, the ranks of novice (and now flush) assistant heads and various other questionable posts swelled.

Hopefully some meaningful figures will emerge from the LEA enquiry.
guest42a

Post by guest42a »

No I think it's quite reasonable to take specific examples as being suggestive of a general problem and a challenge to accepted procedure.

Are you really saying that a system of amateur governors is better than professional educationalists? This has been government policy for over 20 years but I have my doubts. (Thatcher Major and Blair yippee :( )

I still think Tiffin has tried to buy its league table place and I still don't think that is fair. You may say that's life but I don't care I don't think state schools should behave this way. £500 per annum is an outrage.

On the Tiffin web site it states that ""voluntary contributions" have led to improved ICT infrastructure and better staff ratios. So therefore either they have funded better educational results (and therefore league table places) or it has been wasted away.
lewarcher

Post by lewarcher »

Whatever - you are trying to turn it into a debate about policy when it is a discussion of incompetence.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest42
guest42 wrote:Gosh there is a lot of important stuff here. I like many am frustrated at attempts being made to stifle debate.
I hope very much that you are not referring to the Forum Moderators with that comment, but to Tiffin? I am genuinely not sure, but there has been considerable debate on this thread about moderation, so perhaps I am a little paranoid by now? :wink:

I have now had the time (sorry - I do have a family too!) to try and address those points. I have posted my comments as a completely separate thread, because I do not want to see this thread go off topic (like so many of it's predecessors have) purely because of uncertainties about the way we moderate the Forum.

I remain hopeful that, with so many constructive posts so far, this thread may actually unearth some truths about the situation at Tiffin.

Sally-Anne
(Moderator)
notsgink

Post by notsgink »

The Tiffinn GB is composed of individuals most of whom have professional qualifications and a fair few have experience in financial matters. I reckon most if not all have to make decisions in their day jobs that have financial implications. So how was it that the whole GB was so mesmerized that they did not act to stop the reserve being run down to zero. Don't forget this reserve was being topped up by annual voluntary contributions. I don't mind paying 520 and in fact pay more than that. However I do want to see tangible benefits and I do want the school to have a sensible reserve to pay for projects such as to replace the old canteen and to provide for a sixth form block and common room. If the total budget for Tiffin is approximately 6.5 million then it compares very favorably to KGS's annual expenditure of approximately 8.0 million.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest 42/Guest 42a

I am assuming that you are one and the same person? If you have forgotten your password, please do email 11plus@elevenplusexams.co.uk to resolve the issue.

Sally-Anne
runningmum

Post by runningmum »

Dear Southby,
I thought that the move towards promoting dual science rather than triple, was to allow the highly qualified science staff to spend more time helping out at Grists! I have always thought that it would be more cost effective to deploy them more frequently in the science labs and buy in rugby coaching from one of the many local clubs or gap year students (as many of the independents do).
allegra

Post by allegra »

Well we've now read on this forum that the move to double science was to a) allow science staff to help with games, b) as a cost-cutting measure, c) to increase the number of A* grades at GCSE...any others? Did considerations about what would be best for the boys' education, particularly those hoping to study science at A level, ever come into the equation? We've heard that the move to "independent learning" was the solution to a sticky homework policy problem.....this seems to put a whole new gloss on the words "modernising and "inspirational".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now