Tiffin boys new head - Miss. Hilda Clarke

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Post by mad? »

Maybe Tiffin will coninue to mirror the private sector and go co-ed! Seriously I think she is a great find and the school have lucked out, and quickly at that. :P
mad?
runningmum

appointing a woman

Post by runningmum »

I agree and think that she is a great find. For those of you who think a woman head in a boys school is problematic, do you also think that all co-ed schools (most primary and some secondary) should have 2 headteachers, one male, one female?

As for the dance lessons, my son enjoyed learning how to breakdance and move like Michael Jackson and I'm sure that John Sergeant would have benefitted from a Tiffin education?
delthebelle

Post by delthebelle »

Hey Everyone,i'm so happy to learn Tiffins has appointed a new head :)
After all the things written i never doubted once about the school, just did'nt like what i read so this is really great news especially for me coz my son will hopefully get a place really soon as he's rank 1 on WL. So, Long live Tiffins reputation and it can only get better from here. :lol: :lol:
notsgink

Post by notsgink »

I think Mrs Cox has had some hand in this appointment. Personally my preference is for a male head teacher. Langley, although a grammar school, does not have as good academic results as Tiffin.
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

notsgink wrote: Langley, although a grammar school, does not have as good academic results as Tiffin.
Surely it's common for a head to 'trade up' to a more successful school rather than vice versa so I don't see why that is relevant. In addition, as Tiffin is the only boys' grammar in its borough and the only one easily accessible for many West/South-West Londoners and parts of Surrey, the competition for places, as we all know, is immense so there'd be something wrong if it didn't out-perform a school in a county which has several grammars to choose from and probably a smaller pool of candidates.
mad?

Post by mad? »

cinnamon wrote:there'd be something wrong if it didn't out-perform a school in a county which has several grammars to choose from and probably a smaller pool of candidates.
exactly :P
mad?
notsgink

Post by notsgink »

On the contrary, I think it more likely a less successful school would seek a head from a more successful school rather than the other way round. Langley just has not the gravitas that a head from a more prestigious school could bring. :roll:
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

mad? wrote:
cinnamon wrote:there'd be something wrong if it didn't out-perform a school in a county which has several grammars to choose from and probably a smaller pool of candidates.
Following figures may be of interest...
Bewildered wrote:Having a nosy moment over on Slough admissions and came across these interesting figures in their Secondary Admissions booklet re last years applications....

Slough Grammar..... Number of Applicants 1416... PAN 145
Langley Grammar.... Number of Applicants 1575... PAN 145
Herschel Grammar... Number of Applicants 1654... PAN 120
St Bernard Grammar.Number of Applicants 578... PAN 120
mad?

Post by mad? »

Bewildered wrote:
mad? wrote:
Following figures may be of interest...
Bewildered wrote:Having a nosy moment over on Slough admissions and came across these interesting figures in their Secondary Admissions booklet re last years applications....

Slough Grammar..... Number of Applicants 1416... PAN 145
Langley Grammar.... Number of Applicants 1575... PAN 145
Herschel Grammar... Number of Applicants 1654... PAN 120
St Bernard Grammar.Number of Applicants 578... PAN 120
So it looks like the pool of applicants is between 1500 and 2000, split between 3 or 4 schools.

Either way, when recruiting I would want someone on the way up and would want to be sure that the move made sense in career terms (which this does). If the candidate was coming from a 'bigger fish' I would want to know why, and would be concerned about it. I think the apapointment seems like a good one and we should let the poor woman get her feet under the table before passing judgement :P
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now