St. DAVID'S GIRLS, ASHFORD TO CLOSE!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Esher Mum

St. DAVID'S GIRLS, ASHFORD TO CLOSE!!

Post by Esher Mum »

Just heard from a friend that this school is to close, another casualty of the recession I think.

Their results at GCSE and A Level have been on the slide over the past 3 or 4 years and this has obviously not helped. It was a school that my wife and I were looking at a couple of years ago but lacked the academic rigour that DD needed. We were thrilled when she passed the entrance exam for Notre dame, Cobham.

I think that once a school goes below a critical number in terms of pupils, the writing is on the wall! Staff salaries, heating costs and maintenance bills are very high and St David's probably suffered in this respect. I feel for the parents who received this news on Tuesday and hope that they all find places for their DD's soon.

I don't know if Notre Dame have any places available for next year, but if any parents from St. David's view this MB, it may be worth giving them a call. I can thoroughly recommend this school to any prospective parent out there.

Surrey Dad
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Surrey Dad
How reliable and specific is this information?
There is nothing about this in the media yet.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
Esher Mum

Post by Esher Mum »

100% reliable. St. David's are inviting local Girls' schools to a meeting with parents to reallocate their girls in 2 weeks time.

A friend from Staines has had interviews at Notre Dame, Cobham for DD. Parents very angry, did not realise this closure was on the cards! Just received notification from Chair of Governors last Tuesday. All seemed well prior to Easter.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

Thanks for that.
Unfortunately the parents are the last to know :( . Some of the teacher's organisations have said that they are aware of several schools in difficulty but won't identify them.
Situation is akin to causing a run on a bank :shock: .

Any parent hearing of possible problems earlier might to move their child to another school asap. Vicious circle.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now