Westminster School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

moving wrote:Certainly not a good advert for me. I am all for a nice state grammar for the very bright. No money, no class and no Mayfair flats!
But not everyone is fortunate enough to have access to one either regardless of how bright they are and some of us have to make do with an independent, or not make do.

I wouldn't be me without using other sources and I do agree Tatler is full of sycophants siting round a dinner table talking rubbish. The prep school of the year certainly, imo, does not deserve its reward. I have been most grateful for the comments but I am left wondering how I should view them. Some have been from those who have daughters and they will view Westminster differently to a parent with boys. I loved the school when I went round and I thought it felt very civilised and the pupils erudite. I'm now concerned, based on the comments, that I could have got it so wrong.

I know someone is lurking who has a DS at Westy. Send me a pm and put me out of my misery! PLEASE! :(
mad?

Post by mad? »

T.i.p.s.y.

No DS I'm afraid but Westminster is a good school, all schools have their nightmare scenarios, parenting is what hopefully gets the DC through it !
mad?
moved

Post by moved »

Perhaps best not to read the Tatler. I would like to know if there are children there from "normal" backgrounds. No old money, etc. I do know two girls who went there from Westcliff Grammar and had two fantastic years and then went on to Oxbridge. But that was quite a long time ago and the family was wealthy and Daddy had also been to Westminster.
Cair Paravel

Post by Cair Paravel »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: I loved the school when I went round and I thought it felt very civilised and the pupils erudite. I'm now concerned, based on the comments, that I could have got it so wrong. :(
You were right first time, Tipsy. As a former pupil I would tell you it is more intellectual, erudite and civilised than the vast majority of similar schools. Most of the carping here seems to be a mixture of 'friends of friends' hearsay and memories of the school as it was 35 years ago. I hardly had the kind of Mayfair social life 'Tatler' describes when I was there, and bear in mind it's an aspirational gossip-mag that homes in on any perceived social gloss. If you prefer the ethos of a cultured grammar school with some beautiful trappings to Eton, and you think your child would do well in an intellectual and genuinely open-minded environment , give it a go.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Cair Paravel, I appreciate your comments. I am going to see if I can go to concerts and events to get a closer look at the school. :)
Cair Paravel

Post by Cair Paravel »

thanks & good luck - I'll think you'll like it.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Have pm'd you CP. :)
KB

Post by KB »

Wouldn't worry too much about the boys' attitude to girls. Not that its acceptable but that I suspect it is pretty common in most schools that only accept girls into the 6th form.
Hopefully one advantage of having girls in the 6th form is that the boys start to see them as 'people' not just .......
Cair Paravel

Post by Cair Paravel »

another mother wrote:Naxa - UMM! definitely pause for thought!

I have to say I dated two ( from Westminseter ) , they were both deeply moral and left leaning - ( atypical!?!).
I can testify being socially conscious, or at least not particularly conservative, aren't highly atypical of the place ;)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now