Independent schools in Rugby/Coventry

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Duh! Yes I meant Henry VIII!

Both Bablake and Henry VIII are part of the Coventry schools foundation and you can only apply to either school, not both so we're going to have to visit these schools and make a decision as to which one we will try for.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh right, you can't apply to both. I saw that they belonged to the Coventry Schools Foundation, but must have missed that bit. Do you have a hunch over which one?
solimum

Post by solimum »

A work colleague has a daughter nearly finished at Bablake and a son about to start - he always seems to have positive things to say...
Coventrian

Post by Coventrian »

I have two boys at Bablake, 3rd Form and Lower Sixth, and have been very satisfied overall. My boys are like chalk and cheese academically and in personality yet each has fitted in and found his own level and niche. Its is selective but not impossibly hard to get into, not hothouse-y but an implicit expectation that everyone will do their best. I liked the old fashioned grammar school feel that I remembered from my own schooldays, but in other ways it is very modern, good Music and Drama block with theatre, lovely languages block. Scores highly for me on communication with parents also, not always found post primary! If any downside I would say I have noticed very slight deterioration in uniform and behaviour standards since new Head 3 years ago, but very minor only, not a problem. Well respected school locally, most parents 'ordinary' like us!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Welcome to the forum Coventrian! That is extremely useful information to know - first hand information.

I shall definitely be taking my daughter along to an open day at Bablake.
Coventrian

Post by Coventrian »

Thank's Ed's Mum, have been lurking for several years and posted a couple of times as guest, but decided to register at last!
For anyone with children in yr 4 now, the 10+ exam in yr 5 is a good idea as they are awarded a provisional place if they pass. They still have to do the 11+ (you don't pay again) but it takes away a lot of the nerves and gives an insight into the paper standard, good for those who are only sitting for one school so don't get to do lots of tests.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Thanks Coventrian - some really useful information there.

I get the impression that Henry VIII is more selective than Bablake - is that right? I also wonder how hard/competitive the selective tests for both Bablake and Henry VIII are compared with the Warwickshire 11 plus?
Coventrian

Post by Coventrian »

Bablake and KH VIII are both sister schools in the Coventry schools foundation, the exam is identical and I believe the intake is about the same in number, no evidence that KHVIII is more selective, Bablake usually slightly ahead on results, but very little in it. I have no experience of Warks 11+ so cannot compare the two exams, my sons went to an ordinary state primary, had a small amount of verbal/non verbal familiarisation and had 3 x level 5 at KS2 SATS which was enough to pass.
Coventrian

Post by Coventrian »

The SATS were not an entry requirement btw, that was me trying to say an approximate entry level!
Coventrian

Post by Coventrian »

Open evening Friday 19th June 5-8pm, worth a visit!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now